More Mag questions (and a quick DKH question)

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My thread from yesterday:

I normally only test mag every week or 2, but I have noticed my consumption is outpacing my dosing process. I am fine adding a mag to my setup to dose individually, I have space and an open DOS. In an effort to understand consumption, I am scratching my head. Yesterday I used the BRS calculator (I am dosing BRS 2 part balling) and it said for me to add 250ml to bring my tank from 1320 to 1350. I put that in my display into a MP40. 2 hours later I tested (not recorded below) with SAL and it was +1500. Then last night 1220 and this am 1200. Both SAL and HAN are showing a downward trend, if nothing else. Below is my testing results. I am doing my best for sterile consistent testing methods. But this doesn't make sense to me. I am thinking of starting to dose mag at 20ML a day, I don't want to chase numbers, but I am thinking I want to see the trend either level out or increase, then back off as I manage dosing adjustments. How should I manage these test result challenges?

I should mention that I did my weekly water change last night of 15%-20%.

1694350538307.png

DKH - I normally run 10 ish. I took my sump offline last week for 24 hours and had to do a larger than normal water. I read where people match their DKH in their newly made water prior to putting it in the tank, I never thought of this. Is this a common practice? As simply as this is, I have to laugh that I never thought of it or noticed it in a thread. I use IO reef, I keep 50g on hand mixed at all times that runs through a sediment filter plumbed inline to my mixing station. Water is clear and my container cleanings have gone way down. But IO usually runs higher on the DKH side. But, this isn't something I have been paying attention to.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium testing is very error prone and I urge folks to rarely make changes based on a single test.

Are you trying to adjust magnesium with Balling Part C? That's definitely not a good plan. Dose the Balling Part C exactly per directions based on the alk dose, not any measurements.

if you need to boost magnesium (real demand will be less than or equal to 1/10th of the calcium demand), then use a product intended as a magnesium supplement.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Magnesium testing is very error prone and I urge folks to rarely make changes based on a single test.

Are you trying to adjust magnesium with Balling Part C? That's definitely not a good plan. Dose the Balling Part C exactly per directions based on the alk dose, not any measurements.

if you need to boost magnesium (real demand will be less than or equal to 1/10th of the calcium demand), then use a product intended as a magnesium supplement.

I wasn't planning on adjusting Balling Part C or using it as a supplement. That is dosed at x2 the rate of my Alk/Cal dosing rates. I was going to use the Magnesium solution that I mixed up that came with my 2 part as the supplement (from a 1 gallon jug = 5 1/4 cups (933 grams) of Magnesium Chloride and 2 cups (332 grams) of Magnesium Sulfate). The ratio you shared is uber helpful. I am going to go back to testing mag every about every 14 days if I can simply follow my calcium consumption. Thank you @Randy Holmes-Farley, you are always very responsive. We truly appreciate you.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, that's a fine plan.

On the alk in new salt water,, at 10 dKH in the tank, any change in alk from a water change using IO (except a huge one, >50%) is minimal and I would not worry about it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back