More Stocking Ideas for a 25 Gallon Reef

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’m posting another fish-stocking thread for my Waterbox Peninsula Mini. It’s just that I have done more research and a few things have happened since I posted that. Firstly, I got a royal gramma and second, I got a RBTA.
I was hoping to add one more showcase fish if possible, and would need to be compatible with inverts, coral, my royal gramma, and my clownfish pair. I am willing to push the limits a little. I am still pretty new at reefing, but I am learning more every day. Besides, I probably won’t add another fish for a while.

Here are my thoughts-
* six lined wrasse
* flasher wrasse
* twin spot hogfish
* Midas blenny
* Fang blenny
* shrimp/goby pair
* a perching fish like a hawkfish or plectranthias
* splendid dottyback
* oblique lined dottyback
* Banggai cardinalfish

I want fish that...
-are colorful or active, fitting in with a reef setting
-aren’t terribly shy that I will only see them once in a while
-aren’t terribly skittish that it will leap from the tank at the first sign of trouble
-aren’t aggressive enough that it would harass my clowns and royal gramma

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Midas or banghai
Both hardy and model citizens

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’m posting another fish-stocking thread for my Waterbox Peninsula Mini. It’s just that I have done more research and a few things have happened since I posted that. Firstly, I got a royal gramma and second, I got a RBTA.
I was hoping to add one more showcase fish if possible, and would need to be compatible with inverts, coral, my royal gramma, and my clownfish pair. I am willing to push the limits a little. I am still pretty new at reefing, but I am learning more every day. Besides, I probably won’t add another fish for a while.

Here are my thoughts-
* six lined wrasse
* flasher wrasse
* twin spot hogfish
* Midas blenny
* Fang blenny
* shrimp/goby pair
* splendid dottyback
* Banggai cardinalfish

I want fish that...
-aren’t terribly skittish that it will leap from the tank at the first sign of trouble
You might want to rethink about the 6 line. They are semi aggressive

OP
OP
NanoReefer2025

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to rethink about the 6 line. They are semi aggressive
Yeah, I figured that. I’m fine with a fish that can hold its ground, but I wouldn’t want one that will harass my other fish to the point that any of them decides to carpet surf.

Drew1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Blennies for sure.. So much personality. I love my Lawnmower. (29g DT)

Fairy Wrasse's are great if you want a Wrasse!

OP
OP
NanoReefer2025

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Blennies for sure.. So much personality. I love my Lawnmower. (29g DT)

Fairy Wrasse's are great if you want a Wrasse!
Can fairy wrasse fit in a 25 gallon? Some websites suggest much larger tanks. I love their color though!
Midas blenny is a good choice in my opinion. They are colorful, active and have lots of personality. Plus they scrape nuisance algae.
I love the way those blennies swim. I think they would add a lot of color. Do you think it would get aggressive in such a small tank? That’s my only concern.
I agree with the sea turtle
Yes

ReefKidDarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are my thoughts-
* six lined wrasse
* flasher wrasse
* twin spot hogfish
* Midas blenny
* Fang blenny
* shrimp/goby pair
* splendid dottyback
* Banggai cardinalfish

I want fish that...
You should get the cardinals. They will look great in the tank!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fairy and flashers wouldn’t work in that small of a tank, unfortunately. I would suggest a CB striped blenny or any CB fanged blenny. They’re great fish, super active and swim in the open areas of the tank. For nano tanks, pink streaked wrasses or any of the three wetmorella species would work, but they’re cryptic a at first and may take some time to “come out”.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a longfin clownfish? In the RBTA it would be so cool. Or a pink streaked wrasse

OP
OP
NanoReefer2025

NanoReefer2025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get the cardinals. They will look great in the tank!
Cardinals are pretty unique looking, despite their somewhat dull coloration. I’ll consider it!
Wrasse are jumper. Need tight lid
If I get a wrasse, I’ll be sure to get a lid first :)
Pair of cardinals. I have them in my 25 gallon and love them
I’ll consider it!
Fairy and flashers wouldn’t work in that small of a tank, unfortunately. I would suggest a CB striped blenny or any CB fanged blenny. They’re great fish, super active and swim in the open areas of the tank. For nano tanks, pink streaked wrasses or any of the three wetmorella species would work, but they’re cryptic a at first and may take some time to “come out”.
Ok, that makes sense. Pink streaked wrasse are a bit drab colored for their price IMO, but I may consider the possum wrasse. I’m not big on keeping another timid fish in addition to my royal gramma, but I suppose it would be fine. Fang blennies are cool.

What about a longfin clownfish? In the RBTA it would be so cool. Or a pink streaked wrasse
I already have a pair of clownfish, and I want more diversity and color in my tank. The pink streaked wrasse would be more peaceful than a six line, I guess, but their color is a lot duller.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way those blennies swim. I think they would add a lot of color. Do you think it would get aggressive in such a small tank? That’s my only concern.
I think Live Aquaria says a 30 gallon minimum. Your 25 gallon is close but I guess there might be some risk. Fish can be like people and some are more congenial than others.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back