More than two clowns

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
2,944
Reaction score
1,670
Location
Nashotah Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all:
Had two clowns for about 10 months one of them died. ( a wound) so we have one
I want to replace that one can I add two if they are paired or not?
Or should I just add one
Thanks
 
If you do add another, make sure it's only one and it should be smaller than the surviving clown to prevent aggression.

If you do notice aggression put the older clown in an acclimation box for a few days and/or rearrange some of the rock.
 
How large is the tank? In most cases, you should only keep a pair to a tank because clownfish are extremely territorial (they generally block off about a 3' x 3' square area as their own and defend it from any other clowns). There have been a few cases where adding a lot at once allowed for a group to live in harmony (my theory is that there were so many that it would have been hard for any 1 pair to get rid of all the contenders), but I don't know of many...and none who kept 3 only with long-term success. I tried once...it didn't end well...
 
And yes, you could add just 1 more to the tank following the advice that @TheLadyCrash just gave. I concur 100%
 
How large is the tank? In most cases, you should only keep a pair to a tank because clownfish are extremely territorial (they generally block off about a 3' x 3' square area as their own and defend it from any other clowns). There have been a few cases where adding a lot at once allowed for a group to live in harmony (my theory is that there were so many that it would have been hard for any 1 pair to get rid of all the contenders), but I don't know of many...and none who kept 3 only with long-term success. I tried once...it didn't end well...
Thanks no it's a cube 24x24 in
Thanks guy only one and a smaller one hope they attached themselves to one of the anemones haven had a success with that either
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new