Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all:
Had two clowns for about 10 months one of them died. ( a wound) so we have one
I want to replace that one can I add two if they are paired or not?
Or should I just add one
Thanks

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do add another, make sure it's only one and it should be smaller than the surviving clown to prevent aggression.

If you do notice aggression put the older clown in an acclimation box for a few days and/or rearrange some of the rock.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How large is the tank? In most cases, you should only keep a pair to a tank because clownfish are extremely territorial (they generally block off about a 3' x 3' square area as their own and defend it from any other clowns). There have been a few cases where adding a lot at once allowed for a group to live in harmony (my theory is that there were so many that it would have been hard for any 1 pair to get rid of all the contenders), but I don't know of many...and none who kept 3 only with long-term success. I tried once...it didn't end well...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And yes, you could add just 1 more to the tank following the advice that @TheLadyCrash just gave. I concur 100%

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the tank? In most cases, you should only keep a pair to a tank because clownfish are extremely territorial (they generally block off about a 3' x 3' square area as their own and defend it from any other clowns). There have been a few cases where adding a lot at once allowed for a group to live in harmony (my theory is that there were so many that it would have been hard for any 1 pair to get rid of all the contenders), but I don't know of many...and none who kept 3 only with long-term success. I tried once...it didn't end well...
Thanks no it's a cube 24x24 in
Thanks guy only one and a smaller one hope they attached themselves to one of the anemones haven had a success with that either

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back