Moseleya not cratering?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context, my LFS recently got a huge shipment of LPS coral and I asked them to put a few aside while i prepare my tank, they are wild caught pieces and all seem to be doing good. One of them is a moseleya, picking this one up in a few weeks but I noticed that it hasn't grown like a typical moseleya, it's not really cratered in and is growing flat. Anyone know why this could be happening and will it eventually grow into a more typical moseleya shape? Thanks.
20230825_170947.jpg
20230825_170941.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a Moseleya; it's a Lobophyllia rowleyensis (formerly Australomussa).
Just looked it up, I think you're right. Thanks. Though is it an encruster and what does it like in terms of lighting and flow, also do you know how sensitive it is? Still going to take it, but now I'll have to wait even longer for a moseleya...

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see, it forms mounds or encrusts, but with thicker plates than other encrusting corals. L. rowleyensis probably grows slowly, similar to other Lobophyllia. It is closely related to L. vitiensis (formerly Scolymia). I've never kept this species, but I would wager that like most lobophylliids (corals from the family Lobophyllidae) in captivity, they prefer lower lighting and flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back