Moss balls in your ato

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello guys has anyone tried to take mos balls and put them into your ato not for anything reason then just looking cool?

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1603576829491.gif

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have a light source in your ato?
Well they don’t need much light I was thinking the fuge right next door would do just fine I know people that keep them in vases for years and let just room light hit them and they do water change ever week

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem that I see with that is that moss balls, like any other plant needs nutrients to grow. Since we want to use as pure of water as possible in the ATO, I would think the moss ball would die in RO/DI water and foul your ATO.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't understand? And perhaps it stems from my lack of anything freshwater. Please help me understand.

RODI water is void of any nutrients that would be a source for "moss" to grow. Does moss not require that to at least be sustainable?

what happens when it starts to break down (if it does), will it get caught into whatever pump you are using to top off with?

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still don't understand? And perhaps it stems from my lack of anything freshwater. Please help me understand.

RODI water is void of any nutrients that would be a source for "moss" to grow. Does moss not require that to at least be sustainable?

what happens when it starts to break down (if it does), will it get caught into whatever pump you are using to top off with?
So there’s no real reason for it and completely useless other then the fact it may look kinda cool. So yes my concern is that a Mariomo moss ball could die from no tds I’ve not found any article to confirm or deny that. I’m not that worried about the pump as I’ve own them for years and a monthly roll them in a ball and never have them come apart

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d also make some kind of 3D printed box to go around my pump as well

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back