Most realistic fake coral

jfbhd4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240 reef but am putting in an 800 gal fish only and want to have some fake coral in there that doesnt look like garbage. Any suggestions? Price is not a factor.

THank you!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember using coral skeletons in my first ever fish only tank.
I think most still look fake, but the big guys in the business of commercial tanks would be where to start if not worried about price.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a company that 3d prints very realistic looking coral inserts. Can’t remember their name but hopefully google or someone here can help out.

OP
OP
J

jfbhd4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a company that 3d prints very realistic looking coral inserts. Can’t remember their name but hopefully google or someone here can help out.
Would be great to get this site. google search couldt find it

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing but imagine it'd be a pain to keep them clean,,, unless you plan and setup in a way where they're easily removable (for cleaning)

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was going to do a large fish only tank, (this is where the nerd comes exploding out like the Incredible Hulk!). I would do a crystal skull, shark jaw, sunken ship, or a full bodied pirate skeleton holding a bottle of rum!

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo plain dry rock will look 100x better than any fake coral inserts. It will actually look natural and your fish will be in their natural habitat. You want a piece of the ocean, not a piece of plastic. Why not just get robotic fish? They make some realistic ones.

With rock, if you wanted, you could get super low-light corals, a cuc, inverts, etc. Can’t really do that with painted plastic. If you got rock, any grazing fish would appreciate it.

Not to mention the fake coral inserts get so filthy you will clean them nonstop. It only takes a short time for them to look dirty. Rock also increases biological filtration and you don’t really need to clean it (as well).

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where I could see the "hated" beginner corals thriving and doing 2 things. If you put pulsing Xenia, gap, pandoras, and all of those other corals in there, they would act as a nitrate filter. Who cares if they go wild. All of these can live in lower light, if not a toilet with ambient light. If you have fish that eat them, so be it.

The above is just a thought, as any decoration is going to require a ton of maintenance and provide no benefit to the tank. I will say that when I had a puffer dedicated tank, the Xenia and pandoras were on the menu, but they could not eat them as fast as they grew. It also helped me keep nitrates around 10 and po4 around .1 with a small fuge ran reverse light, 10% bi-weekly water changes and an undersized skimmer.

In addition, you may even be able to trade some frags into your local LFS for some credit and use that to buy food or dry goods.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Ocean Aquaria and Montana mountain corals GREAT replicsa nd very reasonable pricing. I have them in all my tanks AND don t believe they get smothered with algae < If you have Excellent water parameters with H2o changes, skimming and Uv sterililizer the maintance is nil. I have RUN tanks going on 15 plus years with GREAT RESULTS. Good luck.

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240 reef but am putting in an 800 gal fish only and want to have some fake coral in there that doesnt look like garbage. Any suggestions? Price is not a factor.

THank you!
I’d stick to either just rock or coral skeletons.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back