Most Reef Safe Dwarf Angel

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is now 5 weeks old and doing great. I have a Red Sea 525XL (139 Gallons, 5ft long). So far I have four small clown that I added day one with turbo start, and on week 5 I just added purple tang. The tang has become best buds with the cleaner fish. But before I got the PT today I was originally wanting a flame angel. After speaking with the LFS, which had a flame, flameback, and coral beauty all in a frag tank, I got cold feet. So between those three would any of you all feel comfortable getting one in your mixed reef tank? I mostly plan on having softies and LPS. Maybe one day I will dive in SPS but for the next year I do not plan on it. I currently have a leather, duncan, mushroom, and zoas in the tank. All are doing well. Thanks for the input!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi imo flame or coral b,or both ,are you qt fish first? pics we all love pics,happy reefing

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With softies and lps it’s always much more of a gamble. Most dwarf angels will at least nip, but may not damage your corals. Coral beauty may be best of the 3. It will depend on how many corals you have, colonies or frags etc.

Potter’s, venustus, multibar and golden tend to be on the safer spectrum (often too shy) but can be tricky to keep.

OP
OP
R

RollTideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi imo flame or coral b,or both ,are you qt fish first? pics we all love pics,happy reefing
I would love to post pics but I have a slightly older IPhone (even my wife's IPhone 8) and no matter what I do the pictures show up washed out and overly blue. Any suggestions on how to get a decent picture without it looking like a black light bowling alley from the 1990s? I hope the answer isnt to go buy some expensive camera haha. I have been spending gobs of money on livestock since buying this dang thing. This hobby can be the ultimate money pit, making boat ownership look cheap.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can try through orange viewing glasses

Hercaluis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is now 5 weeks old and doing great. I have a Red Sea 525XL (139 Gallons, 5ft long). So far I have four small clown that I added day one with turbo start, and on week 5 I just added purple tang. The tang has become best buds with the cleaner fish. But before I got the PT today I was originally wanting a flame angel. After speaking with the LFS, which had a flame, flameback, and coral beauty all in a frag tank, I got cold feet. So between those three would any of you all feel comfortable getting one in your mixed reef tank? I mostly plan on having softies and LPS. Maybe one day I will dive in SPS but for the next year I do not plan on it. I currently have a leather, duncan, mushroom, and zoas in the tank. All are doing well. Thanks for the input!
If you plan on having a clam I say definitely not because they nip at those ....I had a coral beauty and he nipped at my corals but never destroyed one.....but I took it out because he kept messing with my clam....so I took him out

Last edited by a moderator:

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the dwarfs are a bit of a roll of the dice. If I had to guess at the most safe I would go with Potters, and Coral Beauties, followed by xiphypops, and flames. Ultimately any of them can get a taste for corals, and it will come down to do I prefer this fish or these corals. I have had a venusta for the better part of a year now without issue but I put my fish before my corals, only keeping risky fish that I would be willing to lose corals to and predominantly corals unlikely to be nipped at.

91187374_666465984114522_2067791217017487360_n.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on having a clam I say definitely not because they nip at those ....I had a coral beauty and he nipped at my corals but never destroyed one.....but I took it out because he kept messing with my clam....so I took him out
Please don’t post pictures like that. I love crude humor more then the next guy, but kids come here to learn.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go one size up and call it a day. The ones below aren't technically dwarfs but they stay small enough for you to keep in your current tank for a long time. All are much safer IMO. At first glance they don't look as cool as a flame but they are a lot less common and they'll turn heads when other fish nerds see your tank.
Bellus
Wantanabei
Swallowtail.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back