Most reliable return pump?

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to increase my return flow rate so I'm shopping new pumps. For years this has been a no-brainer. In the past -- when all return pumps were A/C -- I tried a lot of different brands before settling on the Water Blaster line. They were the only pumps I could find that never jammed due to calcium build up (I assume because of the ceramic impeller). They don't have all the bells and whistles but I find they are work horses. I set them up and they just keep working, no matter how long I go without cleaning them.

I have to admit I've gotten a bit complacent in pump servicing because these pumps are so reliable and because there is so little build up when I do clean them.

So, now that I'm in the market for a new pump and since there are so many new and supposedly improved models on the market, I thought it could be time to try one of the D.C. pumps. The ability to adjust flow electronically is appealing and I've seen a lot of good reviews.

I'm looking for advice on which brand is best. In particular, my priority factor is reliability. I can't find this in the reviews, which are often written by someone who just recently installed it. What I'd really like to know is how they perform after six months or a year in a high calcium environment. I tend to keep calcium in the 500+ppm range and want to avoid a pump that's going to gum up under that strain.

At this point, I'm more focused on picking a line than a specific pump since I haven't figured out the exact target flow rate yet -- probably somewhere in the 1,000-1,200 gph range. I'm also flexible as to price range. I'd rather pay more now and have a reliable pump than save a few dollars only to have it fail when I'm on vacation.

Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Echotech Vectra L1 for close to a year with no problems. So far I have only cleaned it once and it keeps on ticking. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used reeflo dart. Its a tank. I was thinking about going DC but decided to wait a bit longer on that.

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple reeflo darts on my tanks and have found them pretty much bullet proof. I'm not big on preventative maintenance either so they must be well built. I have one still working without ever replacing anything that has been in my service for well over 20 years.

surgeon1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to clarify the numbers I have 3 darts and one hammerhead, and now have a back up of both types just to be prepared.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a RD3-230 since shortly after MACNA 2015. It's got plenty of oomph to run my 150 from the basement. Royal Exclusiv and Abyzz are the top of the heap of the DC world, but they cost up front. I didn't get mine for saved watts, as that will be pretty close to what an AC pump would consume anyway. I got it for how quiet they are.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for advice on which brand is best. In particular, my priority factor is reliability. I can't find this in the reviews, which are often written by someone who just recently installed it.

Due to all these pumps being on the market for such a short time, I'm not sure anyone can really answer that sufficiently to tell you what to do, so I'll at least tell you what I'd do...

If I were shopping for a variable flow pump, I'd have to stack up both PRO and CON reviews of every pump that I was going to consider reviews on. No CON's means it's too new to even consider...unless you're just trying to roll the dice, in which case go for it.

Once you have your PRO/CON list, you see that most of the DC pumps that have been installed seem to have already failed. Seems like virtually all of the initial hype-generating wave of DC pumps. Even major brands are not without important performance issues. Some brands seem to have completely fudged their flow curves.

If I wanted to try out a DC pump, it would be for a non-critical application. ;) I don't know what brand I'd select either since, from what I've read here, it seems they're all coming from 1 or 2 factories.

(The fact that I don't need adjustable flow for my return will keep that conversation from happening....but that's about how it would go.)

At the very least, this gives your thread a bump. :)

OP
OP
D

DanP-SD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to all these pumps being on the market for such a short time, I'm not sure anyone can really answer that sufficiently to tell you what to do, so I'll at least tell you what I'd do...

If I were shopping for a variable flow pump, I'd have to stack up both PRO and CON reviews of every pump that I was going to consider reviews on. No CON's means it's too new to even consider...unless you're just trying to roll the dice, in which case go for it.

Once you have your PRO/CON list, you see that most of the DC pumps that have been installed seem to have already failed. Seems like virtually all of the initial hype-generating wave of DC pumps. Even major brands are not without important performance issues. Some brands seem to have completely fudged their flow curves.

If I wanted to try out a DC pump, it would be for a non-critical application. ;) I don't know what brand I'd select either since, from what I've read here, it seems they're all coming from 1 or 2 factories.

(The fact that I don't need adjustable flow for my return will keep that conversation from happening....but that's about how it would go.)

At the very least, this gives your thread a bump. :)

Great points and exactly the root of my caution over trying a D.C. pump for the main return. The feature sets make them tempting but it's an application where cool factor is a low priority and reliability is critical. I may just stick with the Water Blasters since they've worked so well for me for so many years.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along here to see the discussion. Getting ready to start building my new tank here in the next few days. I have a brand new mag drive pump laying around that I was thinking about using, but I'd like to get some other opinions. Rather than starting my own thread I'll tag along on this one.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterblaster hy5000 going on 5 years. Love it. Cleaned once and that was when I took my big tank down. I cleaned when I set up my new 125. 2.5 years ago. I have been thinking about getting hy7000 and using my hy5000 for my mixing station. I would stick with ac pump until they come further or unless you are using it for a closed loop application. Just my opinion though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a Vectra for 15 mos or so on my non-critical closed loop and it's ticking along without incident. I would not, however, trust a DC pump as my main return (plus head pressure eliminates all but the uber over-priced models). I'm an external pump guy, and have used an Iwaki for 20 years continuously and PanWorld for 10 years (so far) almost continuously.

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Coralife Turbosea 1090 been running for 6 years, only cleaned like twice. It came used with the used tank, so probably even longer. It's discontinued though. All I clean is the strainer in the bulkhead.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the vectra L1 for over a year, and after all my research I feel an Abyzz pump is worth it and will be my next purchase.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the vectra L1 for over a year, and after all my research I feel an Abyzz pump is worth it and will be my next purchase.
Me too! It all breaks down to what kind of car you want to drive. If you're feeling frisky than buy that Ferrari. If you don't want to be as daring but still want that look than buy a Fiero. Either way, you get what you pay for. I too want the Abyzz 2o0 but am not sure why Jeff doesn't sign up as a sponsor on here! I'd love to pick his brain.

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vectra M1 for over 6 months. Can't hear it at all. Great DC pump. Did a lot of research. Have it on 25% and plenty of flow for my 350g system with 2 drains and 4 returns

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reliability is also my main concern with return pumps, actually is it really my only concern. I still only run AC returns in my system. I can see that the very top end DC pumps are solid, but many brands of AC pumps are proven to last not months, not years, but decades. I have ball valves that T off the return for sump circulation and also allow me to vary flow if I wanted, but I have not had a desire to do so as of yet.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back