Most Underrated Corals?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen threads on Xenia where some people act like it is the devil itself.
Saying it takes over a tank , destroys tanks blah blah blah. With people spreading disinformation on this coral it has scared probably hundreds into not keeping it.
I wonder if most people have ever really owned this coral and just repeat what they hear on some stupid website.
I've had this bunch 15-16 months it started out as 10 polyps and I've probably fragged 1500-2000 polyps off it in that time.
I could easily remove every stalk in the tank in 5 minutes if need be.
Really cool coral.

I actually have stayed away from them because of that reason. I have GSP on their own little island and you can literally see the new growth every day but I hear xenia can frag itself and start appearing everywhere, so I haven't wanted to risk it

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have stayed away from them because of that reason. I have GSP on their own little island and you can literally see the new growth every day but I hear xenia can frag itself and start appearing everywhere, so I haven't wanted to risk it

I wanted to post a little video of mine but the site won't let me, I might have to use photobucket to post it.
I'll try later today.
It's really neat if you ask me.
I have not experienced it fragging itself, what it will do is if a piece is broken off and I mean any piece it will start a new colony.
It's very easy to remove cleanly with a pair of hemostats, just grab it at the base and give a little tug and viola it comes right off never to grow back unless you leave some behind.

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about any softy for color reasons and thought of as beginner corals.
What most do not realize it the brown drab ones will most of the time color up as well and sometimes you get a real nice looking piece.
The flow and movement of softies is still attention grabbing and mature specimens always fill out a tank in a nice way.
Plus different fish can be had in a tank of softies that many folks want in their reefs but can not have due to the corals they keep.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about palm tree coral (clavularia).
20170921_192153.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back