Most Underrated Corals?

datBme150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastos used to be obscure and cheap, but they're now one of the most expensive corals you can buy!
I personally think Leptos are under appreciated

agreed. I love them and have a tank full of them

Jenna Bearden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say pavona. In the optimum conditions, mine are nice and fluffy like tiny feathers floating in the current!!! I love when the sweepers come out at feedings and at night! It makes them even more pretty! It's a great coral that fills in fast in the right conditions.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, Heliofungia can look spectacular in the right setting. A buddy of mine has had one in his tank for several months thats over a foot across measured at the flesh on the disc. It definitely grabs your attention.
IMG_1319.JPG.jpeg

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Branching Porites.

Popular in the 90s and early 2000s, especially with 6.5K or 10K Metal Halides. Now that most hobbies run very blue tanks its doesn't show off the nice yellow.

Still one of my favorites.

Girthrockwel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tongue coral that I think is cool as heck. Adds lots of movement to the tank. Most people think it's an anemone. I tend to like anything that's labeled beginner because I'm a beginner and because it's cheap. Doubt that'll ever change.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plate corals
Fiji yellow toadstool

I haven't seen a fiji yellow in a long time. Doesn't seem as common anymore. I used to have one up until 2007-08.
Fungia plates have always been a favorite of mine. I have a couple in one of my tanks.
I also think trumpet corals are underrated or not as desirable as they once were. I also currently have 3 different varieties in one tank grouped together. It's a nice contrast of colors. Sun corals are another one. Although they require regular feeding.
Although I'm heavy on sps in one of my tanks, I still love many varieties of softies and lps corals.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my shrooms. They have great color and react well to feeding I love to watch them curl up when I give them bits of food!

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plate corals
Fiji yellow toadstool

I haven't seen a fiji yellow in a long time. Doesn't seem as common anymore. I used to have one up until 2007-08.
Fungia plates have always been a favorite of mine. I have a couple in one of my tanks.
I also think trumpet corals are underrated or not as desirable as they once were. I also currently have 3 different varieties in one tank grouped together. It's a nice contrast of colors. Sun corals are another one. Although they require regular feeding.
Although I'm heavy on sps in one of my tanks, I still love many varieties of softies and lps corals.
I love fungia plates. Slow growing but really hardy and nice. Feeding them is fun too, I have had mine for almost 2 years

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox Coral, this is my favorite coral and I rarely see it in tanks. Idk if it is because it doesn't ship well, I got one from a LA order and it arrived in very poor shape and didn't last long, it also had a small hole in the bag though.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox Coral, this is my favorite coral and I rarely see it in tanks. Idk if it is because it doesn't ship well, I got one from a LA order and it arrived in very poor shape and didn't last long, it also had a small hole in the bag though.

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen threads on Xenia where some people act like it is the devil itself.
Saying it takes over a tank , destroys tanks blah blah blah. With people spreading disinformation on this coral it has scared probably hundreds into not keeping it.
I wonder if most people have ever really owned this coral and just repeat what they hear on some stupid website.
I've had this bunch 15-16 months it started out as 10 polyps and I've probably fragged 1500-2000 polyps off it in that time.
I could easily remove every stalk in the tank in 5 minutes if need be.
Really cool coral.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting montis....colorful, not difficult and not too aggressive
Cyphastreas.......same as montis but a little more aggressive
Duncans.....one of my favorite corals.
Plate corals....so much variety in form and color.
Rock flower anemones.....over shadowed by the "real" anemones

Sunny Ds (1 of 1).jpg

Green Plate (1 of 1).jpg

Orange Plate (1 of 1).jpg

10-17 rock flowers (1 of 1).jpg

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting montis....colorful, not difficult and not too aggressive
Cyphastreas.......same as montis but a little more aggressive
Duncans.....one of my favorite corals.
Plate corals....so much variety in form and color.
Rock flower anemones.....over shadowed by the "real" anemones

Sunny Ds (1 of 1).jpg

Green Plate (1 of 1).jpg

Orange Plate (1 of 1).jpg

10-17 rock flowers (1 of 1).jpg
You're definetely right about cyphastreas. They come in many different colors and combinations.
I love my red branching cyphastrea. I like how it looks like a sps but easier to care for without the demands. I keep it lower in the tank .
I have an orange plate too. Good looking piece.
I've had a lot of people that I know or met in the hobby that don't buy them because they are not easy to propagate or frag.
I only propagate corals when the need arises rather than as an investment. You're also right about the colors. Like chalices, there are endless color combinations for fungia corals. Shapes and tentacles can be long or short.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 44 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back