Most useful laboratory stuff for aquariums

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've worked in pharmaceutical laboratories for many years before starting my aquarium. I've found there's quite a few things we used in the lab that work quite well in the aquarium hobby. I'll list a few and ask if anyone else does this too.

1: Transfer Pipettes - Great for dosing small amounts of anything and for taking small amounts of tank water for testing

2: Magnetic Stir Plate - Makes mixing saltwater hands free

2B: Propeller Variant for bigger volumes

3: Electronic Balance - Eliminates guesswork for making saltwater. I used it to make a precise mark for 15 Liters in my 5gal container, and then weigh 525g of salt for the 15L. Perfect 35ppt/1.026sg saltwater every time.

4: pH Meter: Better than the strips

5: Beakers/Glassware - for general use

OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful--thanks!

Question: one of the biggest pains is shaking the Hannah cuvettes for 2 minutes when doing certain tests on their digital checkers. Is there a good home solution for mixing/agitating them?
There's the option of a shaker table or a vortexer. Problem is they're kind of expensive. If that isn't a big deal to you, go for it!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking you were going to help us out with a pharmaceutical product to ease the symptoms of reefing. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I do use a syringe to draw my Hanna sample instead of trying to line up the meniscus properly each time.

Sometimes I use beakers but often I substitute a 15ml medication bottle top for 95% of these things.

OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Volumetric Flasks for reliable measurement of fluid volume
100% true, but personally not worth the investment to me. I weighed 15000 grams of water into my 5 gallon jug and marked the line as 15L. I consider that effectively volumetric for the purposes of aquarium keeping (and much cheaper)

OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking you were going to help us out with a pharmaceutical product to ease the symptoms of reefing. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I do use a syringe to draw my Hanna sample instead of trying to line up the meniscus properly each time.

Sometimes I use beakers but often I substitute a 15ml medication bottle top for 95% of these things.
Lol. Well, Maybe Fluoxetine can help treat coral polyp anxiety and get them to open up sooner! Stay tuned for clinical trials.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% true, but personally not worth the investment to me. I weighed 15000 grams of water into my 5 gallon jug and marked the line as 15L. I consider that effectively volumetric for the purposes of aquarium keeping (and much cheaper)
Sure but 15000g of water is not necessarily 15 litres but probably close enough for mixing salt water.

Not close enough if you're diluting 1N HCl down to 0.02N for an automatic Alkalinity tester :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: one of the biggest pains is shaking the Hannah cuvettes for 2 minutes when doing certain tests on their digital checkers. Is there a good home solution for mixing/agitating them?
@Rick Mathew found a solution. It's a nail polish shaker. Loud, but hands-free and consistent.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick Mathew found a solution. It's a nail polish shaker. Loud, but hands-free and consistent.
There was also a forum member who made their own. For anyone who is into diy projects.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure but 15000g of water is not necessarily 15 litres but probably close enough for mixing salt water.

Not close enough if you're diluting 1N HCl down to 0.02N for an automatic Alkalinity tester :)
Here is what @taricha was talking about....works great

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful--thanks!

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wash bottle with RO in it changed my life for cleaning testing vials, rinsing equipment, even cleaning the glass.
Yes I know what you mean....I do a lot of testing so I did a DIY "Vial Rinsing Gadget" that is like having 4 wash bottles working together...rinses 4 vials at a time...really cuts down on the testing time...Here is a link to the DIY project

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back