Most useful laboratory stuff for aquariums

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy "all in one" pH meter. The probe has a a durability of only 2-3 years. After that you have to throw away the whole meter. Spare BNC PH probes only cost 10 bucks if the meter is able to switch them.
Where do you find $10 probes?
Are they single or double junction?
I only buy double junction and they are $35 and up.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna vials match perfectly this small shaker. I have been using it for the last year and my wristtle really appreciates it. Besides, it allows you to work in another test while waiting for the mixing to get done
I received the darn thing yesterday and used it for my regular weekly tests today. Can't be happier - in under 30 seconds of mixing in completely dissolved the Hanna nitrate reagent into a clear solution - I was never able to completely dissolve it when I was doing it manually, without small bits still flying around.
The device is larger than Hanna vials, though, it rather fits Red Sea vials (made the titration test for calcium a breeze - I kept dropping the reagent into the swirl, until there was a color change - no need to shake after every drop anymore). For easily centering Hanna vials, I cut a thin slice from a 1/2" PVC tube and placed it there - the size is just about right, see the photos.

The only thing that makes me concerned about this little device is the magnetic bead. It is about the size of a rice grain and when it falls down, it is pretty hard to find. I'll order several more similar beads of different sizes, to keep a stock. Also, it would be nice to have a small potentiometer on the side of the device, to be able to change the RPM. The speed is a tad too high to my taste, and generates a small whirlpool in the vial, which tends to suck air from the surface. I think there is a small motor inside, with magnets attached to the shaft (as it makes small noise when I turn it ON even without the bead). It may be easy enough to add a regulator - I'll take it apart to look when I have time. But all in all, its $20 spent very well. Its rechargeable, BTW, charged in about two hours. Should be enough juice to keep it going for quite some time - I don't think the small motor takes much power.

IMG_1129 copy.jpg
IMG_1128 copy.jpg

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap Chinese probes for $10 are junk, do not waste your money on these. Cheapest probes that I find to work are are Pinpont, by American Marine, and they are around $40 on Amazon (sometimes can be cheaper, when on sale). An even better quality electrode, like Oakton/Cole Parmer 59001-70 is somewhere around $120 (you may be able to find slightly better deals if you look for old stock on eBay).

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the darn thing yesterday and used it for my regular weekly tests today. Can't be happier - in under 30 seconds of mixing in completely dissolved the Hanna nitrate reagent into a clear solution - I was never able to completely dissolve it when I was doing it manually, without small bits still flying around.
The device is larger than Hanna vials, though, it rather fits Red Sea vials (made the titration test for calcium a breeze - I kept dropping the reagent into the swirl, until there was a color change - no need to shake after every drop anymore). For easily centering Hanna vials, I cut a thin slice from a 1/2" PVC tube and placed it there - the size is just about right, see the photos.

The only thing that makes me concerned about this little device is the magnetic bead. It is about the size of a rice grain and when it falls down, it is pretty hard to find. I'll order several more similar beads of different sizes, to keep a stock. Also, it would be nice to have a small potentiometer on the side of the device, to be able to change the RPM. The speed is a tad too high to my taste, and generates a small whirlpool in the vial, which tends to suck air from the surface. I think there is a small motor inside, with magnets attached to the shaft (as it makes small noise when I turn it ON even without the bead). It may be easy enough to add a regulator - I'll take it apart to look when I have time. But all in all, its $20 spent very well. Its rechargeable, BTW, charged in about two hours. Should be enough juice to keep it going for quite some time - I don't think the small motor takes much power.

IMG_1129 copy.jpg
IMG_1128 copy.jpg
Great Idea!!...I love DIY stuff. I made this magnetic stirrer retriever from a piece of tubing and a magnetic stirring bar. Fits down in the vial and pulls out the small bar...works like a charm

1694976440741.png

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Idea!!...I love DIY stuff. I made this magnetic stirrer retriever from a piece of tubing and a magnetic stirring bar. Fits down in the vial and pulls out the small bar...works like a charm

1694976440741.png
Yeah, that's a good idea. They provide a piece of tie wire for the retrieval purposes, but the bead does not stick very well to it and falls off if you aren't careful enough. A magnet in abother stir bar would certainly give it a stronger pull.
These tiny bars should be pretty inexpensive, though. I was actually thinking to buy many and store one in each vial (I store the vials in the meter, anyway, filled by RO water). That way, they will always be ready to go when I want to test.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_1129 copy.jpg
IMG_1128 copy.jpg
Extra stir bars are a must have in my opinion. (https://www.coralvue.com/autoaqua-smart-stir-magnetic-pill-3x) An external magnetic pick up tool is also helpful. (https://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-telescoping-magnet-37187.html)

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra stir bars are a must have in my opinion. (https://www.coralvue.com/autoaqua-smart-stir-magnetic-pill-3x) An external magnetic pick up tool is also helpful. (https://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-telescoping-magnet-37187.html)
$9 for 3 stir teeny-tiny bars is extremely overpriced, IMO. I have just ordered the same in China, I can get 7pc for $1. They also sell a PTFE coated retriever magnetic rod, for slightly over $1 (available on a great variety of sizes, I bought the smallest, which is 6" long)

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there different grades of pH Probes? I get a lot longer life out of my Pinpoint Probes, they are always immersed in Saltwater and the only thing I do to them is Brush them off with a Soft Toothbrush.
Sure there are different grades, but even industrial grade probes are done after 2-3 years. While they may still woek, variance will be too large and the calibration will give errors.
If your probes are always immersed in saltwater you may not even realize that the probe need 5-10 minutes to equalize during measurement.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. These black probes may not be usable with 3 point calibrations but for a 2 point calibration in a range of pH 7-10 I they are adequate. Accuracy +-0.05 and equalize time 5 sec even though the description is telling something else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1129 copy.jpg
IMG_1128 copy.jpg
Just a thought - you might be able to get a better fit if you get some O rings to put on the bottom of your cuvettes.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same one I use, on all my tests. No more Capping, Shaking, Un Capping, Spilling and getting solutions on my hands. I’ll have to try the Pipe Spacers.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Checker Standards
I have one for each test, and check periodically to make sure my checkers are reading properly.

IMG_3463.jpeg
Did you ever see a fail with these?
Unfortunately, there is no calibration option with these Hanna checkers, and if a test these control solution fails, our only option is to buy a new checker.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This serves double duty for measuring out KH keeper reagent and occasionally checking salinity with a hydrometer.

Edit: accidentally posted without text the first time

A.B. Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of great mentions so far! Love my micro pipettes, 1-10ml for tests and 10-100 μL for daily minor traces. Go through a lot of nitrile gloves with 2x twisted rubber bands to keep the water out. A few items. Maybe over the top but I've become pretty OCD in the shop.

Have been very gentle on my Hanna cuvettes

Kimberly-Clark 34155 Kimwipes 1-Ply Delicate Task Wipes, 4.4" x 8.4", Tissue (Pack of 286) https://a.co/d/5ia6pRQ

I use these for all dry powder major and minor mixes.

Pure Ponta Weigh Boats Large - 125 Pack 330ml Plastic Disposable Trays for Scale, Square Weighing Dishes for Powder Weight, Epoxy, Crafts, Food Samples - Pour Boat Tray, Anti-Static Lab Dish Container https://a.co/d/aqNJilo

Also used in conjunction with weigh boats.

Lab Scoop Spatula, 6/PK - 6.3 Inch - Rounded & Pointed Ends - Stainless Steel - Eisco Labs https://a.co/d/8KRXlhy

For storing mixed powder elements

Glass Flask Erlenmeyer Flask Set Narrow Mouth 2000ml Graduated Flasks https://a.co/d/9JX9FwX

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you ever see a fail with these?
Unfortunately, there is no calibration option with these Hanna checkers, and if a test these control solution fails, our only option is to buy a new checker.

No, but my checkers are only a year or so old. And yes, i was disappointed to hear there was no calibration option, although it may not be necessary.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back