Motorized Raising/Lowering of Light Fixture

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one after researching basically everything you've already listed. I can lay out the details if you want. I was going to add it to a build thread that I haven't gotten around making yet. Here are a quick picture and video. Ignore the cord in the picture, it's just a USB cable I was using to change a few settings in the light. Also, the only oddity I experience is the LEDs (half the time) shut off for 3 seconds and then kick back on. I really can't explain it. It's like there is a gyroscope within the light fixture to sense movement. https://photos.app.goo.gl/aNIQ8TqKRaouevhC2

IMG_20180427_205454.jpg

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every post or youtube video I ever found of an electric light lifter was always extremely minimal in describing how to build it. It's like this huge secret that only a few people know (reminds me of old horse handlers before the knowledge of horse care became well known). I just decided to buy the parts and figure it out.

This is the tubular motor I used:
http://www.metechs.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=416536

I built the black casing box out of 1" wood from home depot. I had an electrician come in and run some support beams in the ceiling for me to attach the motor to (and install a plug so I could avoid cords dripping down). It didn't cost as much as you'd think.

I can go into further detail on whatever part you want.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like there is a gyroscope within the light fixture to sense movement. https://photos.app.goo.gl/aNIQ8TqKRaouevhC2

IMG_20180427_205454.jpg

Unlikely a gyroscope....unless you spent a ton of money on those lights from a company that didn’t know how to use much cheaper tech to accomplish the same thing :) mostly likely, if anything, and accelerometer detecting drop in your fixture. That said, usually electronics that do this (computers etc) will detect a more sudden/fast drop and cut power to electronics to protect them.

@DarkSky did you figure this out yet? If not, you could always build one from scratch with a simple stepper motor and a micro controller. But unless you’re familiar with using these things, or you really want to learn how, it might be easiest to rig electronic blinds

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accelerometer to cut power in the event that the light gets knocked into the tank.
They are probably running it a bit more sensitive as lots of people run them with short legs resting on the tank (or just skewed resting on the rim). If only one corner gets bumped of and it tilts, it doesn't have far to go to touch water.

Those screw motors are called linear actuators. You can find them for much cheaper than going through an electronics store and pulling apart a TV lift.

mibwb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look under grow light fixtures..I knew someone who used a fixture that raised and lowered lights for his....(vegetables)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every post or youtube video I ever found of an electric light lifter was always extremely minimal in describing how to build it. It's like this huge secret that only a few people know (reminds me of old horse handlers before the knowledge of horse care became well known). I just decided to buy the parts and figure it out.

This is the tubular motor I used:
http://www.metechs.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=416536

I built the black casing box out of 1" wood from home depot. I had an electrician come in and run some support beams in the ceiling for me to attach the motor to (and install a plug so I could avoid cords dripping down). It didn't cost as much as you'd think.

I can go into further detail on whatever part you want.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg
OLd thread but thisbos awesome- couple quick questions...

1) any chance you could share how you attached the light rail to the motor?

2) how does that style of motor work? I cant seem to fimd any vids online showing operating principle. Does it just spin the tube and the wires wrap around it?

Thanks!

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OLd thread but thisbos awesome- couple quick questions...

1) any chance you could share how you attached the light rail to the motor?

2) how does that style of motor work? I cant seem to fimd any vids online showing operating principle. Does it just spin the tube and the wires wrap around it?

Thanks!

1) When you say light rail, I'm guessing you mean the light itself? I used the ceiling hanging attachment that came with the light. It's meant to be screwed into a stud in the ceiling. I instead screwed it into the metal shaft that the motor turns. You can see the picture of it above. It's the Metal socket looking thing that's screwed into the long circular metal shaft that the motor is connected to.

2) The motor turns, which turns the metal shaft, which in turn wraps the wire around the shaft (shortening or lengthening it).

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) When you say light rail, I'm guessing you mean the light itself? I used the ceiling hanging attachment that came with the light. It's meant to be screwed into a stud in the ceiling. I instead screwed it into the metal shaft that the motor turns. You can see the picture of it above. It's the Metal socket looking thing that's screwed into the long circular metal shaft that the motor is connected to.

2) The motor turns, which turns the metal shaft, which in turn wraps the wire around the shaft (shortening or lengthening it).
Perfect, thanks. Thats how i asdumed it worked.

How has it been performing for you?

And how exactly did you connect the wire fitting to the shaft? You just screwed it in?

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, thanks. Thats how i asdumed it worked.

How has it been performing for you?

And how exactly did you connect the wire fitting to the shaft? You just screwed it in?

It's worked perfectly for me. I haven't even thought about the design in 2+ years due to it just working.

I screwed in the wire fitting ends to the shaft (the socket looking things) and just screwed it in. This picture should help explain what I'm talking about: the sockets are screwed into the metal shaft, and the fittings screw into the sockets.
204353-ati-t5-hanging-kit_1.jpg

lucho79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a lot for all the info. I am trying to replicate this and got the motor. Where did you get the metal shaft that you put on over the motor (where you attach the hanging kit for the lights)?
Thanks!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks a lot for all the info. I am trying to replicate this and got the motor. Where did you get the metal shaft that you put on over the motor (where you attach the hanging kit for the lights)?
Thanks!
It’s the actual shaft that the motor turns. It part of the motor

in this example- if you remove that torx bolt- the shaft slides off so you can drill it for mounts or thread your wire through a hole

E1CAB1F5-3BAA-4B18-814A-381B959EAF5A.jpeg

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining in on this--thanks man @ Dawsokj1988!

1610347197854.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back