Mounting a Light on a Vaulted Ceiling

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently working on changing the lighting above my tank and I decided that it would look much better if i hung it from my ceiling, but it is vaulted which makes it more complicated. What is the best way for me to make sure that the position of the two mounts is in the right spot? I attached what measurements I have already taken.

IMG_9060.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently working on changing the lighting above my tank and I decided that it would look much better if i hung it from my ceiling, but it is vaulted which makes it more complicated. What is the best way for me to make sure that the position of the two mounts is in the right spot? I attached what measurements I have already taken.

IMG_9060.jpg
besides sharks with Lazer beams, just regular measuring lazers work great put a board across the top of your tank and put the lazer on top of the tank it can help you find center and make your mark on the cieling.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumb bob will work fine if you don't have a laser level. I don't own one so plumb bob it is. A laser level would be the s#&t but not something I would splurge on just to hang a light. A plumb can be nothing more than a string with a weight on the end as stated.

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumb bob will work fine if you don't have a laser level. I don't own one so plumb bob it is. A laser level would be the s#&t but not something I would splurge on just to hand a light. A plumb can be nothing more than a string with a weight on the end as stated.
some people have bought Lazer levels on Amazon used them to hang their aquarium light, then returned them ......

I bought one for work though it wasn't me!

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
besides sharks with Lazer beams, just regular measuring lazers work great put a board across the top of your tank and put the lazer on top of the tank it can help you find center and make your mark on the cieling.
i like this idea lol i’m gonna try it

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put push pins at the corners of my canopy, looped string around them to form an X. Used a Plumb Bob to mark the spot above, No Ceilings in Basement.** I do like the idea of a Laser, I have one on a Fluke Inferred Thermometer. ** Strange thing is, you can finish your basement, as long as you don’t put a ceiling up, it’s not taxable, as a living space.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put push pins at the corners of my canopy, looped string around them to form an X. Used a Plumb Bob to mark the spot above, No Ceilings in Basement.** I do like the idea of a Laser, I have one on a Fluke Inferred Thermometer. ** Strange thing is, you can finish your basement, as long as you don’t put a ceiling up, it’s not taxable, as a living space.
that is strange, I'm in Florida not many basements here... does that apply to a drop cieling, there has to be a way people get around that, or they just wait until no one is looking and put up drywall ;)

interesting!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is strange, I'm in Florida not many basements here... does that apply to a drop cieling, there has to be a way people get around that, or they just wait until no one is looking and put up drywall ;)

interesting!
I thought basements in Florida were called 'sinkholes'...

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, put a Finished Floor in, Studs, Electrical Insulation and Finished Drywall, all with Building Permits. No Ceiling, taxed as a non-living space. A dropped ceiling it gets taxed. BTW, we had some friends here. They put walls up and a Ceiling. Later on they put a wood flooring in on their walk out basement. When they sold, all that flooring had to come up. No Permit, for the wood floor nor an inspected Termite Barrier.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, put a Finished Floor in, Studs, Electrical Insulation and Finished Drywall, all with Building Permits. No Ceiling, taxed as a non-living space. A dropped ceiling it gets taxed. BTW, we had some friends here. They put walls up and a Ceiling. Later on they put a wood flooring in on their walk out basement. When they sold, all that flooring had to come up. No Permit, for the wood floor nor an inspected Termite Barrier.
ouch!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back