Mounting Mitras LX7's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to mount my 2 LX7's over my 120 gallon mixed reef. (48"x24"x24"). Should they be mounted parallel with the front and back or parallel with the sides? Any help would be appreciated.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're meant to be mounted so that the display on the light is facing the front of the tank (e.g. parallel to the sides). It's really just for aesthetics and convenience of being able to read the display on the light.

You can mount them in either direction -- parallel to the sides or parallel to the front -- whichever gives you the best coverage for your particular tank.

If your using the wire hanging kit, mounting either way is easy. (It's what I used.)

I haven't see/used the mounting bar though, so I don't know if it gives you the ability to mount in either direction, or just one...

That said, with your tank dimensions, if you plan on doing SPS across most of the tank, you'll probably want a 3rd one with all three mounted parallel to the sides (e.g. displays facing front).

If you plan on mostly LPS or just a bit of SPS beneath the lights, the two mound parallel to the front may be enough.

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two would be fine. Front facing. I used kessil mounting arms. I made an aluminum bracket from things I got at Lowe's. Not hard to do. 48" tank 30" deep. I'm growing acros.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two would be fine. Front facing. I used kessil mounting arms. I made an aluminum bracket from things I got at Lowe's. Not hard to do. 48" tank 30" deep. I'm growing acros.
can u post a pic of mounting. im looking at 2 of these or 2 XR30 G4 pros. but the arm is *****.. i like the RMS on radions. so trying to figure out if i can make a arm or something

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190610_191707.jpg

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if radion mounts can be modified.

Actually just remembered. I ordered 2 xr30 mounts yesterday. Forgot all about it. so either I'm stuck with the 2 xr30s or maybe find a way to modify it
I bought two giesemann mounts for verve I was going to use. I saw someone modified them to work. I jjust liked the kessil arms better for my needs. I still have the other mounts.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nice lights. I think you'll be pleased. Here's mine. And this is about 3 or 4 days into acclimation mode as I just added some more coral.
IMG_20190610_175346.jpg

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering since the cooling is on the top of the fixture what's the minimum spacer/bushing to mount on top of the fixture so I dont block the cooling ability 1/2inch enough space got fans to blow and breathe. Or 3/4, or 1?

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering since the cooling is on the top of the fixture what's the minimum spacer/bushing to mount on top of the fixture so I dont block the cooling ability 1/2inch enough space got fans to blow and breathe. Or 3/4, or 1?
I have about 1/2 maybe 3/4 space. Never a problem. Light are very warm to the touch when they're on tho.

Back