Moving 47 year old reef 60 miles. OMG

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, hope you find that clingfish. I have been considering getting another one. I had one a number of years ago eating out of my hand but eventually disappeared

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, hope you find that clingfish. I have been considering getting another one. I had one a number of years ago eating out of my hand but eventually disappeared
Me too! I have one that's super gregarious and friendly. He will sit on my finger and eat off the mysis cube as it's melting and likes to keep an eye on me. Very cute

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen or heard of a clingfish. Can y’all post pictures?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to point out that it was a 79 yr old back in '92 that sued McDonalds for her spilling hot coffee, not a millennial.
I don't care if she was two or 92 It was a frivolous law suit. Coffee is hot. In most coffee pots, it boils. Her and her lawyer should be in jail.

Viet Nam? You’ve obviously not spent enough time in south Alabama!

You obviously have not spent time in Viet Nam. When it is not raining, it is raining harder. They call it a tropical rain forest for a reason, and you obviously have not spent time in a rice paddy. When you come out, you burn the leeches off yourself with a cigarette. :eek:
During monsoons (which seems like always) Many times you wake up because the water rises over your nose so you choke yourself up. Then you wipe the rat footprints off your face. :rolleyes: And those are the good days in Viet Nam.
The mosquitoes chase you so they can bring you home to feed their kids. You are safe if you run between trees because their antlers get caught in them.

I was stationed in South Carolina for 8 weeks and I did hate it. But I would live there instead of Nam.

I was born in '88 and used the word "snazzy" just the other day... so I'd argue not all millennials are alike
I got the socks I am wearing in 88.:confused:

Then again, I do find emojis to sometimes be hilarious so I could be wrong.

I think they are stupid :eek::rolleyes:;Smuggrin;Sour;Shifty;Pigeon:(;):);Watching;Greedy;Yuck

The water was 190° and caused third degree burns to her inner thighs and genitals. She was hospitalized for 8 days and had to undergo skin grafts to replace the skin.

Her fault, not McDonalds. I have a stove in my kitchen and if I put my hand on the burner, I will get third degree burns. Should I sue the stove manufacturer? If I stick my head in my reef tank and I drown, should my wife sue the tank manufacturer? If I eat one of those things that come in pill boxes and I die, should I sue the drug company? If I put a plastic bag over my head and croak, should I sue them because they didn't print that sign on them that reads "Don't put over your head"? If I go cross eyed from reading your post, can I sue you? Maybe I should get that Lady's Lawyer. :D

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care if she was two or 92 It was a frivolous law suit. Coffee is hot. In most coffee pots, it boils. Her and her lawyer should be in jail.

You obviously have not spent time in Viet Nam. When it is not raining, it is raining harder. They call it a tropical rain forest for a reason, and you obviously have not spent time in a rice paddy. When you come out, you burn the leeches off yourself with a cigarette. :eek:
During monsoons (which seems like always) Many times you wake up because the water rises over your nose so you choke yourself up. Then you wipe the rat footprints off your face. :rolleyes: And those are the good days in Viet Nam.
The mosquitoes chase you so they can bring you home to feed their kids. You are safe if you run between trees because their antlers get caught in them.

I was stationed in South Carolina for 8 weeks and I did hate it. But I would live there instead of Nam.

I’ve spent time in the rain forests of Belize and Costa Rica. And I’ve been to a cotton field. The last time it snowed here there was something resembling ice falling from the sky and I had a huge swarm of mosquitos outside my back door. I’ve been tossed around in the surf atGulf Shores.... do any of those count? But I agree.... Nam had to suck more than anything on earth. I’m glad that you lived to tell funny tales to us all!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Esimison. If I didn't live, my stories would not have been as funny. But remember, in Nam we had no electricity, no plumbing, no clean water, no roof, no walls, no roads, no underwear, (no Seriously) no nothing but mud and VC. We did have mosquitoes, leaches, scorpions, all sorts of snakes (I once shot a cobra and a very huge python) Tigers, elephants, monkeys and malaria. I spent a year in the jungle and I never came out except for a week of R&R in Australia.
My unit lost men every week and in one night we lost about 50 of us out of about 250. (They wrote a book about it. It was the worst day of my life.
http://www.thehistoryreader.com/contemporary-history/april-1-1970-fire-base-illingworth-hell-earth/ )

I once caught a scorpion that was about 7" long. I put him in a can about as big as a beer can and his elbows stuck out. I shot it with my 45 and that just wounded it and made him mad. I eventually killed him with my M-16 but he didn't go easily. If that didn't work, I had plenty of grenades. :eek:

Speaking about snow. I was stationed in Colorado for a few months and one of the things I remembered was the snow plows on the trains. They were like 15' high and I thought that was a little overkill. The truth is that those plows were not high enough.
I went out in an M 60 tank through that snow and you can't stop an M 60 tank but the snow was coming up over the turret. There is a tank story that goes with that but not tonight as I think I already told it and this is a tank move thread, not an M 60 military tank thread. :rolleyes:

This was Duk Duk. He was my best friend. I took him from a kid who was going to make lunch out of him. I gave the kid some C Rations which were just as greasy. Duk Duk stayed with me about 8 or 9 months and would not leave me. He slept with his head on my shoulder and all night he would "snore" He would say, very quietly Quack, Quack, Quack. Then when the sun came up about 4:30 he would go Quack Quack very loud in my ear until I fed him. When he came in a helicopter with me I had to hold his wings down. If I walked away, he would run after me qand sit down in front of me. I really miss Duk Duk.

This was our "Amazon" Anything we needed came on one of these.

This is Judy (the monkey) looking for something to eat in my pocket.

This was a friend of mine that wandered out of the bush

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got the socks I am wearing in 88.:confused:

I think they are stupid :eek::rolleyes:;Smuggrin;Sour;Shifty;Pigeon:(;):);Watching;Greedy;Yuck

Her fault, not McDonalds. I have a stove in my kitchen and if I put my hand on the burner, I will get third degree burns. Should I sue the stove manufacturer? If I stick my head in my reef tank and I drown, should my wife sue the tank manufacturer? If I eat one of those things that come in pill boxes and I die, should I sue the drug company? If I put a plastic bag over my head and croak, should I sue them because they didn't print that sign on them that reads "Don't put over your head"? If I go cross eyed from reading your post, can I sue you? Maybe I should get that Lady's Lawyer. :D
I agree it was 100% her fault, when you buy coffee do you expect it to be cold? If it was I'm sure there would be another lawsuit for it not being hot enough. And to the comment that she didnt get enough out of her lawsuit I beg to differ. I'd spill boiling water on myself for 3 mil any day.

As far as emojis... I'm pretty sure you use them in your threads more than anyone else on this forum so you must find some form of enjoyment out of them

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as emojis... I'm pretty sure you use them in your threads more than anyone else on this forum so you must find some form of enjoyment out of them

Who Me! :eek::rolleyes::D;Pigeon;Smuggrin:);Cyclops;Woot;Wideyed

RyonFly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna leave this hear, a lot of misconceptions about that coffee incident. Also, she may have been awarded 3mil by the jury, she didn't get that, I believe it's called damages cap. Sometimes what you actually get awarded barely pays for the medical costs. Not trying to start an argument.

RyonFly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna leave this hear, a lot of misconceptions about that coffee incident. Also, she may have been awarded 3mil by the jury, she didn't get that, I believe it's called damages cap. Sometimes what you actually get awarded barely pays for the medical costs. Not trying to start an argument.
Forgot to leave the link https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Esimison. If I didn't live, my stories would not have been as funny. But remember, in Nam we had no electricity, no plumbing, no clean water, no roof, no walls, no roads, no underwear, (no Seriously) no nothing but mud and VC. We did have mosquitoes, leaches, scorpions, all sorts of snakes (I once shot a cobra and a very huge python) Tigers, elephants, monkeys and malaria. I spent a year in the jungle and I never came out except for a week of R&R in Australia.
My unit lost men every week and in one night we lost about 50 of us out of about 250. (They wrote a book about it. It was the worst day of my life.
http://www.thehistoryreader.com/contemporary-history/april-1-1970-fire-base-illingworth-hell-earth/ )

I once caught a scorpion that was about 7" long. I put him in a can about as big as a beer can and his elbows stuck out. I shot it with my 45 and that just wounded it and made him mad. I eventually killed him with my M-16 but he didn't go easily. If that didn't work, I had plenty of grenades. :eek:

Speaking about snow. I was stationed in Colorado for a few months and one of the things I remembered was the snow plows on the trains. They were like 15' high and I thought that was a little overkill. The truth is that those plows were not high enough.
I went out in an M 60 tank through that snow and you can't stop an M 60 tank but the snow was coming up over the turret. There is a tank story that goes with that but not tonight as I think I already told it and this is a tank move thread, not an M 60 military tank thread. :rolleyes:

This was Duk Duk. He was my best friend. I took him from a kid who was going to make lunch out of him. I gave the kid some C Rations which were just as greasy. Duk Duk stayed with me about 8 or 9 months and would not leave me. He slept with his head on my shoulder and all night he would "snore" He would say, very quietly Quack, Quack, Quack. Then when the sun came up about 4:30 he would go Quack Quack very loud in my ear until I fed him. When he came in a helicopter with me I had to hold his wings down. If I walked away, he would run after me qand sit down in front of me. I really miss Duk Duk.

This was our "Amazon" Anything we needed came on one of these.

This is Judy (the monkey) looking for something to eat in my pocket.

This was a friend of mine that wandered out of the bush
My dearest Paul... if I made light of your experiences, it was certainly not intentional. Your stories are so full of joy and humor that I assumed you looked upon your time in the military in a “tongue-in-cheek” kinda way. I should’ve been more sensitive. Rear Admiral Jerry Denton, the guy that blinked SOS on national TV that eventually led to the push for ending the war, was from my area and a good friend of my parents. Meeting him changed me and I have more gratitude for our armed forces than the average person...at least I think so. I thank every service person I encounter and, from the bottom of my heart, I appreciate you. Please don’t take offense at my comments. I didn’t mean to cause you any distress. Blessings to you.... Elizabeth

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dearest Paul... if I made light of your experiences, it was certainly not intentional.

Elizabeth. Please do not feel that you hurt my feelings in any way possible. It is totally impossible to hurt my feelings especially on a fish site. Don't read too much into my posts as most of it I make up as I go along and write things that sometimes don't even make sense to me. :D

I enjoyed your post and had fun responding to it. Keep responding as this to me is all fun. I also have very thick skin and even if you wanted to hurt my feelings. You couldn't. :p
Everything in life to me is funny. :)

I am also not a Snowflake, not a Liberal and very opinionated and hard headed. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my porcelain crab. He must have been hiding in a hole in a rock. The other one along with a Harliquin shrimp and a bunch of hermit crabs probably bit the dust in my vats of rock and gravel I still need to clean and put in. It is not heated in those vats so I doubt any of them lived. But I didn't lost anything else which is very surprising.
This guy may starve because they are filter feeders and I have been running my diatom filter every day to eliminate diatoms. By the way a diatom filter has nothing to do with diatoms they just share the same name like Christie Brinkley and Chris Christy. :rolleyes:

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elizabeth. Please do not feel that you hurt my feelings in any way possible. It is totally impossible to hurt my feelings especially on a fish site. Don't read too much into my posts as most of it I make up as I go along and write things that sometimes don't even make sense to me. :D

I enjoyed your post and had fun responding to it. Keep responding as this to me is all fun. I also have very thick skin and even if you wanted to hurt my feelings. You couldn't. :p
Everything in life to me is funny. :)

I am also not a Snowflake, not a Liberal and very opinionated and hard headed. :rolleyes:

My family doesn’t think I make much sense either ... especially my teenage children.

Life is too short to be anything other than entertained by it.

I sometimes wish I was a snowflake. I am not a Liberal either. After all, I live in the Deep South. I too am very hardheaded.... just ask my husband .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back