Moving a reef tank

zoalander1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im moving my 29g biocube into a 30g jbj. I plan on using a different substrate and Im also adding about 150% more rock. The new rock is currently in a bleach cure.

Whats my best option to move everything?

I was thinking to use live Caribbean sand. Adding the newly cured rock along with the fish coral and live rock from the biocube along with all of the water and some of the filter media. Would this be safe? or should I just cycle the new tank with the live sand and new rock? or is there a better way?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im moving my 29g biocube into a 30g jbj. I plan on using a different substrate and Im also adding about 150% more rock. The new rock is currently in a bleach cure.

I was thinking to use live Caribbean sand. Adding the newly cured rock along with the fish coral and live rock from the biocube along with all of the water and some of the filter media. Would this be safe? or should I just cycle the new tank with the live sand and new rock? or is there a better way?

FWIW, the new tank will defintely go through a cycle albeit probably a mini-cycle. If it were me, I would let the new tank run its cycle before moving any of the livestock to it. Just my .02.
Good luck!

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've done it both ways actually. It was less stressful to let the new tank run a short cycle with rock and bottled bacteria then it was when I just transferred everything over. If you do decide to transfer everything over I recommend getting some bottled bacteria still. It will help make sure the tank doesn't get a big spike of ammonia and it's a little bit of peace of mind for just what, $10?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back