Moving a tank 6 feet

WhatCouldGoWrong71

TheDryReef
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2023
Messages
3,759
Reaction score
2,777
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Story of my life, lol, ideally if I could move this tank 6 feet to the right, my life would be so much easier. Anyone have any magic solutions to move a tank 6 feet? I can easily take 1/3 the water out and drain and remove the sump (reuse all water). Thoughts?

IMG_3910.jpeg
 
Drain completely with all live stock and rock removed.. use a pry bar to lift the stand and put them little sliders under it and push it over! Remove sliders and fill it back up.. don’t try it with any water or rock in it.
 
Story of my life, lol, ideally if I could move this tank 6 feet to the right, my life would be so much easier. Anyone have any magic solutions to move a tank 6 feet? I can easily take 1/3 the water out and drain and remove the sump (reuse all water). Thoughts?

IMG_3910.jpeg
Depends.....1) How many hands you can get to help. 2) how strong your stand is.... depending on stand and how many people you can get, you might not need to remove the rock....regardless, you will need to drain all water.
 
I'm in a similar spot - need to move my tank to install new flooring in the house. Hoping there was a better answer...think I'm just gonna floor everything around the tank and just buy a few extra boxes for when I move...
 
Depends.....1) How many hands you can get to help. 2) how strong your stand is.... depending on stand and how many people you can get, you might not need to remove the rock....regardless, you will need to drain all water.
BUT, better safe than sorry and just remove it all....LOL
 
I'm in a similar spot - need to move my tank to install new flooring in the house. Hoping there was a better answer...think I'm just gonna floor everything around the tank and just buy a few extra boxes for when I move...
Yup....thats the way to do it....make sure you seal where the floor meets the stand....dont want any water getting under there
 
Story of my life, lol, ideally if I could move this tank 6 feet to the right, my life would be so much easier. Anyone have any magic solutions to move a tank 6 feet? I can easily take 1/3 the water out and drain and remove the sump (reuse all water). Thoughts?

IMG_3910.jpeg
Wouldn't it be blocking the window then?
 
I moved a tank across town in my truck bed with sand and a couple inches of water in it still. Live rock was kept alive in 2 50 gallon brute cans with some water from the tank. Fish were kept in 5 gallon buckets with tank water. Had 4-5 men team lift everything and nothing broke or died and I didn’t have to re-cycle at the new home.
 
How does moving a stationary object make life better? It looks like a good spot to me
 
Story of my life, lol, ideally if I could move this tank 6 feet to the right, my life would be so much easier. Anyone have any magic solutions to move a tank 6 feet? I can easily take 1/3 the water out and drain and remove the sump (reuse all water). Thoughts?

IMG_3910.jpeg
Ive done this and drained tank down to 25% and had 2 persons lift stand onto 1 1/4" PVC tubes and they act as rollers and move system easily- just go slowly
 
Story of my life, lol, ideally if I could move this tank 6 feet to the right, my life would be so much easier. Anyone have any magic solutions to move a tank 6 feet? I can easily take 1/3 the water out and drain and remove the sump (reuse all water). Thoughts?

IMG_3910.jpeg

Six feet to the right puts the tank right in front of the window. Have you stopped to consider how that might impact the tank?
 
Ive done this and drained tank down to 25% and had 2 persons lift stand onto 1 1/4" PVC tubes and they act as rollers and move system easily- just go slowly
I've done the same, but used 1/4" acrylic rods so we didn't need to lift the tank any further than absolutely necessary.
 
Six feet to the right puts the tank right in front of the window. Have you stopped to consider how that might impact the tank?
I take it you didn't read the entire thread. Blue tape represents new tank. One of the old tanks is in the way. Need to move it prior to the consolidation. Window will be covered for the 2 weeks or so the tank will be in front of the window with livestock within it.
 
I've done the same, but used 1/4" acrylic rods so we didn't need to lift the tank any further than absolutely necessary.
@JayM @vetteguy53081 I am wondering if those ideas (looks like the 1.5" pipe would fit, but I don't think those sections would support much weight) would work with a stand like this. It's a Red Sea Max 500. Thoughts?
1718234946527.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new