Moving advice

DerekB4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice on moving my reef tank. I’m moving out of my house before This next week and moving to my new a couple weeks later. Living at a buddies for a couple of weeks.

I was thinking about moving out all my rocks first and wrapping them in newspaper. Would the bacteria and critters stay there until the 24th or would putting them in a Rubbermaid tub with a power head be sufficient?

I was then going to move my fish (2 clowns, fairy wrasse, Royal Gramma, and dragon goby) and my corals into a 10 gallon aquarium with a power filter.

I read that it’s a good idea to throw the sand away, but my aquarium is less then a year old. Would it be ok to put in a bucket and reuse?

I was then going to put the rest of my red sea reefer 200 (42 gallon display) into storage.

Any suggestions? I am tempted to see if I can get any credit at a lfs for my fish thinking that will be easier on them.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice on moving my reef tank. I’m moving out of my house before This next week and moving to my new a couple weeks later. Living at a buddies for a couple of weeks.

I was thinking about moving out all my rocks first and wrapping them in newspaper. Would the bacteria and critters stay there until the 24th or would putting them in a Rubbermaid tub with a power head be sufficient?

I was then going to move my fish (2 clowns, fairy wrasse, Royal Gramma, and dragon goby) and my corals into a 10 gallon aquarium with a power filter.

I read that it’s a good idea to throw the sand away, but my aquarium is less then a year old. Would it be ok to put in a bucket and reuse?

I was then going to put the rest of my red sea reefer 200 (42 gallon display) into storage.

Any suggestions? I am tempted to see if I can get any credit at a lfs for my fish thinking that will be easier on them.
your rocks' bacteria and critters need temperature control, oxygen, maybe food and water change depending how long it goes.

While likely your LFS may give you wholesale credit, fish may also do okay in a 10g with filtration, temperature control, etc - +1 vote keep your fish

Rinse and reuse sand... People neglect the rinse with tap then RO as final step, and moving dirty original sand is like moving full septic system (eew) along with the house

Get a bottle of Fritz or Dr Tims or something to help you get your cycle(s) in tank(s) done quickly both to preserve your rock bacteria, critters and also fish. Good luck!!

Back