Moving an Established Tank... With a Twist

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through a ton of the moving guides on here for advice. I've got a pretty solid plan for the best course of action. My fiance and I are moving our currently 1 month old 28 gal tank across town (less than 10 miles) in a few months. No anemones or coral at the moment as we've decided to continue waiting until after the move. So for now just a clown fish pair, pistol and YWG pair, live rock and some snails.

The part I am having trouble wrapping my brain around is: How long can the livestock sit in the buckets with heaters and powerheads? Since I made a newbie mistake and didn't plumb a sump to begin with I plan on taking the time to do so once everything is broken down. I also plan to have the sump made and ready to go along with the plumbing. I'll have a local glass shop drill the holes for me which will be a pit-stop in transit to the new home. (Caught heat from the fiance about not breaking her tank when I suggested I could do it myself lol)

I'm anticipating the whole process of: Deconstructing the tank, moving, setting up the sump, leak testing and reconstructing the tank shouldn't be more than 3-4 hours. I'll have the stand, electrical outlets and new water ready to go before deconstruction. Will the livestock be fine? What about the rock and a few cupfuls of the current sand, should they have an oxygen stone as well? Also what is the best height to drill the holes for the overflow bulkheads? Any other advice is appreciated.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had livestock in tupperware tubs with a powerhead and heater for over 8hrs when i moved my friends tank from richmond VA to Queens NYC

as long as the water is oxygenated/moving andis in the proper temp range, they cane stay there for as long as you need

OP
OP
BamaMedic

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. That makes me feel a little easier about it. I’m assuming this is a terrible question, what are the benefits of keeping them dark?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. That makes me feel a little easier about it. I’m assuming this is a terrible question, what are the benefits of keeping them dark?
They are more relaxed and less stressed.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't reuse your sand, at least without washing it clean before reusing. When removed you will be mixing the stratified layers of high and low oxigen bacteria in your sand and the layers if collected wastematerials. So a lot of bacteria living in your sandbed will end up in an environment where they have a hard time surviving. This plus the fact that you will also remix all the detritus that was/is in the sand can cause nutrients to spike.

OP
OP
BamaMedic

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't reuse your sand, at least without washing it clean before reusing. When removed you will be mixing the stratified layers of high and low oxigen bacteria in your sand and the layers if collected wastematerials. So a lot of bacteria living in your sandbed will end up in an environment where they have a hard time surviving. This plus the fact that you will also remix all the detritus that was/is in the sand can cause nutrients to spike.

Most of the threads on here about moving tanks have this question. It seems the community is split on all new sand or keep a few cups of sand to put with the new sand. My goal is to avoid a small cycle after the move with the live rock and some cupfuls of old sand.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
month old? i would totally reuse the sand in fact, i would pull the rock and move it in buckets and just leave the sand in the tank with a bit of water

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.6%
Back