Moving anemone in hole

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear my rainbow bubble tip anemone must be a masochist. I received my anemone around 3 months ago and in that time it’s move all of about two inches I placed him down low so that he could adjust to the light better hoping that the brighter light would tempt him up as he acclaimed.
345A9682-468D-44E1-8224-36A3D7240560.jpeg
I would like to move him but he’s lodged himself in a hole and I have no idea how to get him out without hurting his foot. And I don’t want to remove the rock as there are several happy acans (and ricordea and blastos)that call that rock home. I’ve heard that they’ll move when they’re unhappy but at this point I’m not sure he will.
Any ideas?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear my rainbow bubble tip anemone must be a masochist. I received my anemone around 3 months ago and in that time it’s move all of about two inches
345A9682-468D-44E1-8224-36A3D7240560.jpeg
I would like to move him but he’s lodged himself in a hole and I have no idea how to get him out without hurting his foot. And I don’t want to remove the rock as there are several happy acans (and ricordea and blastos)that call that rock home. I’ve heard that they’ll move when they’re unhappy but at this point I’m not sure he will.
Any ideas?
Heads up, it may move back, as it likes that spot, but try my tried and true method linked below. Works very well and does not harm the nem. Be sure to read down for some examples other have posted on how to position the "Nem Cannon" so the nem decides to move.

Should work very well for where the nem is and the fact that its foot is in a hole on an angle.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go. Problem solved with about $2 in materials.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go. Problem solved with about $2 in materials.

You almost beat me to it. Score for me lol.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heads up, it may move back, as it likes that spot, but try my tried and true method linked below. Works very well and does not harm the nem. Be sure to read down for some examples other have posted on how to position the "Nem Cannon" so the nem decides to move.

Should work very well for where the nem is and the fact that its foot is in a hole on an angle.

Beat me to it.

And where is the ™ on Nem Cannon?

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uggh I hope it doesn’t. My lfs has one that split like crazy and looks absolutely gorgeous. They have three (what one of the employees said) reefbrite strips right over where the anemones are hanging out.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK back to the topic at hand.

@WhitePanther93 if you do use this method, please take pics and post them to the sticky. Would love to have as many pics as possible showing how others do it, as Lost and my situations and placement may not fit others who want to try this.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uggh I hope it doesn’t. My lfs has one that split like crazy and looks absolutely gorgeous. They have three (what one of the employees said) reefbrite strips right over where the anemones are hanging out.
We can hope, but nems will do what nems want to do.

One trick is to try and match the flow and light for where the nem was, if possible. It is also helpful to have another hole in the location you are moving it to. I have had nems prefer a more safe place for their foot over matching the flow and light before, so it is possible it will stay if you move it.

Just wanted you to be aware that we cannot these lovely critters and where they go. We can just do out best to try and match where they were and pray they stay lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They move generally due to stress. Does not mean theyre stressed out but rather conditions are unfavorable.
The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach. Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists eventually find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK back to the topic at hand.

@WhitePanther93 if you do use this method, please take pics and post them to the sticky. Would love to have as many pics as possible showing how others do it, as Lost and my situations and placement may not fit others who want to try this.
Will do. Probably gonna wait till tomorrow or the next day. Depends on when my new coral shows up and I really don’t want to mess this coral up.
C5821E6F-1014-4389-BFF7-5755350F625D.jpeg

Gonna break out the par meter and make sure I get it’s placement right.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They move generally due to stress. Does not mean theyre stressed out but rather conditions are unfavorable.
The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your new anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
If it starts to move towards any coral, simply direct your water jets to the coral. This will discourage the anemone from anchoring near it. It will move to another area to attach. Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Many aquarists eventually find out that too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.
How’s the flow look to you?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Great video post. Its a little excessive for anemone. You dont necessarily have to turn it down, but rather dirsct away from anemone as you want the nem to gentle wave /sway in the current, not doing a hula dance

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the flow look to you?

Flow looks fine to me. I have nems that have moved into seriously high flow and some that have moved to very low flow. The nem decides where it wants to be.

If you are referring to flow for the goni that you posted a pic of, that is about the same for where all of my goni are located. But, that does not mean your goni will like it. Goni, you kind of have to guess and see if they adjust.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow looks fine to me. I have nems that have moved into seriously high flow and some that have moved to very low flow. The nem decides where it wants to be.

If you are referring to flow for the goni that you posted a pic of, that is about the same for where all of my goni are located. But, that does not mean your goni will like it. Goni, you kind of have to guess and see if they adjust.
I was asking about the flow for the nem. But thanks for the tip for the goni.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to show how BTA do their own thing, here are some vids of mine. These are Nem tanks with other stuff that just has to cope with the nems lol. I let them go where they want when they want. Some like a ton of flow and some do not. I can move them, but they always move back to where they want to go. Just something to accept when you own a nem.

Youtube is still processing the HD version, but you can still see the flow they chose.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video post. Its a little excessive for anemone. You dont necessarily have to turn it down, but rather dirsct away from anemone as you want the nem to gentle wave /sway in the current, not doing a hula dance
Unfortunately I have mp 10s so not really a whole lot I can do about redirecting them. Though to be fair I’m kinda hoping the imperfect flow and lights cause it to move of its own accord.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately I have mp 10s so not really a whole lot I can do about redirecting them. Though to be fair I’m kinda hoping the imperfect flow and lights cause it to move of its own accord.
You can raise the MP10 itself to reduce flow at anemone

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back