Moving clownfish to smaller tank

Clownydowntown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m about to go on vacation to another country for a month. The problem is that I have one clownfish (who is medium sized ab 1-1.5 inches) in my 20 gallon tank. The plan is that I’m going to put the clownfish in a 2.5 gallon tank and give it to a friend to take care for a month. Is this okay?

Joseph3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, a 2.5 is too small. A 10 would be okay, but at that point you might as well just move the 20 gal. (Which might be the best option depending) Personally, I would get a automatic fish food dispenser and have your friend come in once a week to refill it and do a water change. Make sure to add a feeding ring if you go the auto feeder route.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 2.5 gallon tank cycled?
Will it have a filter?
Does the person your giving it to know anything about taking care of saltwater fish?
Could the person just come over to your house and feed the fish once a day(as well as top off water)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I’m about to go on vacation to another country for a month. The problem is that I have one clownfish (who is medium sized ab 1-1.5 inches) in my 20 gallon tank. The plan is that I’m going to put the clownfish in a 2.5 gallon tank and give it to a friend to take care for a month. Is this okay?
It can be done but will require frequent maintenance and smaller feedings.
Ultimately, if you can leave it in the 20g and have your friend come over and feed (even every other day) and adds ro water and test ammonia and salinity- it will be your best bet

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back