Moving from 20 Long to 40 Breeder

decaf93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As written above I’m moving from a 20 long to a 40 Breeder. I already have about 15 pounds of rock and 20 pounds of sand in my 20. I’ve bought more rock and sand. Do I need to cycle the new 40 with the new rock? Or should there be enough established in my current system to just move it over and treat it as if I’m doing a big water change?

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cycle/cure the new rock. You can do it in a 5g bucket with a power head, the rock, and water from your current tank. Change the water maybe once a week and do that for at least 3 weeks. There is no need to cycle the new sand, but don't plan transferring tanks the same day the new sand is added. I'd give it time to clear up and settle out. Once you make the transfer take a few cups of the old sand to top off the new sand.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently combined my EVO and 20 Cube into a 40 Breeder. I stored the rock and livestock in buckets during the transfer. I rinsed the sand until it was clear. I used a new 20lb bag of sand (rinsed as well) and about 10lbs of new rock rinsed in tap and then RODI and added everything to the 40 the same day. There is no need to cure the new rock as you have enough bac to sustain the livestock that you have.

OP
OP
D

decaf93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whatcha putting in the 40 breeder?
I haven't decided fully yet. My pair of clowns of the year have managed to both jump out of my last tank even with a lid so I want another pair of those. I'd like to get a blenny as well. I really like the looks of the tail spot. I'd love a dwarf angel, but I might be a bit on the small size for those from what I've bene reading.

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't decided fully yet. My pair of clowns of the year have managed to both jump out of my last tank even with a lid so I want another pair of those. I'd like to get a blenny as well. I really like the looks of the tail spot. I'd love a dwarf angel, but I might be a bit on the small size for those from what I've bene reading.
A cherub or flameback angel will be fine in 40B. 65 gallon tank, as someone suggested above, is still a 3ft tank, just taller.
they do get territorial and it’s best to add them last if possible. I have a cherub in my 120. It packs a big attitude for its body but never really gets violent with new additions.
007484A8-32E7-455A-970D-FB9BA263B492.jpeg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back