Moving made my tank way nicer

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 3 months old, 20 gallons, KP live rock, mixed reef.

A few weeks ago I had a dino outbreak. Nothing died but corals were very irritated, sand was gross, and I started growing quite a bit of algae.

It reduced about 70% with heavy feeding but many corals were still not fully open, rocks still had some unsightly algae and my sand was gross.

I moved this month, pulling the rock, seems to have kicked up all the detritus, maybe the air killed some algae, not sure. I tossed most of the sand as well. I did do a small water change but only about 3 gallons a week before and maybe 4 gallons after to make up for lost volume.

Now my tank looks great, clean rocks, happy coral, clear water. Interesting, maybe not shocking in hindsight, but not something I would have thought to do either.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 3 months old, 20 gallons, KP live rock, mixed reef.

A few weeks ago I had a dino outbreak. Nothing died but corals were very irritated, sand was gross, and I started growing quite a bit of algae.

It reduced about 70% with heavy feeding but many corals were still not fully open, rocks still had some unsightly algae and my sand was gross.

I moved this month, pulling the rock, seems to have kicked up all the detritus, maybe the air killed some algae, not sure. I tossed most of the sand as well. I did do a small water change but only about 3 gallons a week before and maybe 4 gallons after to make up for lost volume.

Now my tank looks great, clean rocks, happy coral, clear water. Interesting, maybe not shocking in hindsight, but not something I would have thought to do either.
Before move, during water changes, did you suck waste from sand? You don't mention filtration

Suspecting you moved reef home, but left septic tank behind by tossing old sand

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back