moving my 50 gallon mixed reef!

Mom.VS.Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I’m moving my 1 year old, 50 gallon mixed reef tank!

I’m freaking out a bit and hoping some of you amazing people have some good tips and advice to get my through it!
Only moving about 20 mins, but we are in Canada so it’s very cold!

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When moving during the fall or winter I like to bag all my fish and put them in styrofoam coolers that way they cool down much slower and you can add heat packs if you have to. Also when you move your aquarium try getting ahold of moving blankets you can rent them at uhaul they help alot when I did moving for a living we'd wrap anything fragile with heavy moving blankets and tape the H*** outta them

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a RSM250 from Edmonton to Peace River last January, which is a five hour drive, so you should be fine:

-Make sure that you have sufficient coolers in which you can move your livestock. Yes, Yeti and top-of-the-line products are nice, but I typically just use sytrofoam shipper containers or coolers. I bought a nice big one at the local Co-op for $10. Coolers are better than totes, as the lids will ensure your livestock is transported in the dark.

-Make sure you pack hand warmers in with the coolers

-Take extra zip-loc bags for emergencies. Separate packing will ensure less stress.

-Live rock can be transported out of water. Just put a wet towel on top to keep everything moist. Mine survived a five-hour drive in a truck at 0C; you'll be fine.

-bring bungee cords. If you're using ratchet straps, put a blanket over the tank so they won't scratch the glass. I didn't do this...

-If you're putting the in the bed of a truck, put a mattress down first.

-Have pre-made salt water ready at your final location.

-Make sure you rinse your substrate (if you operate with it) before putting it back in your tank, or you may get an ammonia spike.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back