Moving my tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter ms705jk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ms705jk

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2014
Messages
128
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have a pretty good idea on how to do this but someone with a bit more experience would be nice to hear from. Im moving out of Florida in 8 days and going to north GA. When I leave it will be 80 and when I arrive it will be 45ish. It should take me about 12 hours to travel to my destination. It using plastic coolers I already have for my LR. My lfs is giving me bags for the coral and the three fish I will be putting them in coolers as well. I will get new sand when I get to GA. Should I turn off the tank heater in a few days to acclimate the inhabitants for low oxygen levels or will I need the get heat pack's for the trip. The tank will be the first thing out of the truck and the first thing setup.
 
I would transport the fish and corals in 5G buckets. Get a power inverter for your car and run heaters off of it. You can also get battery powered air pumps for the ride.
 
I have a few airators from my saltwater fishing days that will work. You don't think the truck will get to hot in the cargo area? Im renting a 24' budget truck for the move.
 
Is it possible to keep the coolers/buckets with you in the front? You would have the most control over the temp that way. I think it might get too hot in the back if you don't use coolers.
 
I honestly never have sucess with transfers longerr then an hour or 2.
I'd say put the fish in 5g buckets with heaters and pumps as well. I'd be more worried that something may tip over then it getting to hot this time of year.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new