Moving my tank

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have a pretty good idea on how to do this but someone with a bit more experience would be nice to hear from. Im moving out of Florida in 8 days and going to north GA. When I leave it will be 80 and when I arrive it will be 45ish. It should take me about 12 hours to travel to my destination. It using plastic coolers I already have for my LR. My lfs is giving me bags for the coral and the three fish I will be putting them in coolers as well. I will get new sand when I get to GA. Should I turn off the tank heater in a few days to acclimate the inhabitants for low oxygen levels or will I need the get heat pack's for the trip. The tank will be the first thing out of the truck and the first thing setup.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would transport the fish and corals in 5G buckets. Get a power inverter for your car and run heaters off of it. You can also get battery powered air pumps for the ride.

OP
OP
ms705jk

ms705jk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few airators from my saltwater fishing days that will work. You don't think the truck will get to hot in the cargo area? Im renting a 24' budget truck for the move.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to keep the coolers/buckets with you in the front? You would have the most control over the temp that way. I think it might get too hot in the back if you don't use coolers.

macscale

Ok.. Ok.. I'm Obssesed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly never have sucess with transfers longerr then an hour or 2.
I'd say put the fish in 5g buckets with heaters and pumps as well. I'd be more worried that something may tip over then it getting to hot this time of year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back