moving sand

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've just set up my tank and have a sand bottom overnight the sand has moved completely and created large piles and ideas how to prevent such massive movement?
IMG_20190819_123747.jpg
IMG_20190818_114547.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming its blowing around from your pump you either need to decrease flow or adjust the direction so it's not hitting the sand so hard. This is why many avoid fine sand in their reefs. Just wait until you add a pistol shrimp...

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming its blowing around from your pump you either need to decrease flow or adjust the direction so it's not hitting the sand so hard. This is why many avoid fine sand in their reefs. Just wait until you add a pistol shrimp...

Thanks, none of my pumps face the bottom of the tank they all aim up I'm guessing the current in the tank is to strong dragging the sand up into piles but without them I have no movement. I didn't like the look of the coral substrate so went with a sand bed begging to regret that decision.

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until you get a goby. Neil Diamond Goby moves my sand around every day. Once a week when I do water changes and general maintenance I move the sand back to where I want it and within an hour or so he has redecorated.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks have always had uneven sand. Doesn’t bother me though. In my mind it looks more natural. But, to each his own! I did change the direction of my return output and that kept the center from having a bare spot. But, alas, my clowns have a great time digging a nest and sending sand everywhere. It’s what they do...

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until you get a goby. Neil Diamond Goby moves my sand around every day. Once a week when I do water changes and general maintenance I move the sand back to where I want it and within an hour or so he has redecorated.
I'm looking at a yellow Watchman, surly the goby or shrimp can't move the amount of sand my bloody wave makers have I have about 100kg of sand in there and in mostly all in one big pile now

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks have always had uneven sand. Doesn’t bother me though. In my mind it looks more natural. But, to each his own! I did change the direction of my return output and that kept the center from having a bare spot. But, alas, my clowns have a great time digging a nest and sending sand everywhere. It’s what they do...
I don't mind the uneven sand but I have one massive pile in the middle covering a few pieces of rock and the right side of the tank is now bare bottom. I'm going to have to make some adjustments to the position of my waves

BGrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a yellow Watchman, surly the goby or shrimp can't move the amount of sand my bloody wave makers have I have about 100kg of sand in there and in mostly all in one big pile now
LOL
Keep thinking that.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carib sea special grade which is a bit more coarse than some of the other sand offerings and helps to minimize blowing around in tanks with heavy flow.

BGrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carib sea special grade which is a bit more coarse than some of the other sand offerings and helps to minimize blowing around in tanks with heavy flow.
+1

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll have a look at it as I'm in need of something, I have moved the direction of the waves and it's helped a little but still not great

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back