Moving tank to new apartment?

lostmylenscap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wasn’t expecting to move any time soon when I started my first SW tank during quarantine but here we are!
I’ve got a waterbox cube 10 and we’re literally moving like 3 buildings over so not far at all and I’m hoping if I just siphon the water from the tank into my buckets and put the live rock in with it and just leave a little water in the tank for the sand it won’t restart the cycle when I put it back together again in the new apartment?
It currently has 2 Ocellaris clowns and a CUC (2 Trochus snails, 2 scarlet hermits, 1 dwarf blue legged hermit) living in it
I’ve been trying to read other peoples moving threads but they seemed so different from my situation (waaaay bigger tanks and established for longer etc) so I wanted to make sure it transferred to a smaller, newer system too

Thank you!

81B888D2-6368-48C7-9FD5-FD8898A005B8.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that is how to move safely we do it for pages. Deep clean the entire reef including full sand rinse then set up as a new clean tank in the apartment. No matter how tempting it seems to move sand without rinsing, don’t. I wouldn’t customize or change or reduce any aspect of prep we do there, simply do what those 200+ jobs did and yours will be safe move 201#

all moves are a cleaning interval for reefs. If we skip cleaning then moving has a recycle risk. If you deep clean it, regardless of how old your tank is, then we show no cycle for five years straight.

OP
OP
lostmylenscap

lostmylenscap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that is how to move safely we do it for pages. Deep clean the entire reef including full sand rinse then set up as a new clean tank in the apartment. No matter how tempting it seems to move sand without rinsing, don’t. I wouldn’t customize or change or reduce any aspect of prep we do there, simply do what those 200+ jobs did and yours will be safe move 201#

all moves are a cleaning interval for reefs. If we skip cleaning then moving has a recycle risk. If you deep clean it, regardless of how old your tank is, then we show no cycle for five years straight.
Thank you!
I guess I’m still a little confused about how the bio filter works...it won’t get disturbed by me washing/rinsing things? I’ll be able to put the critters back in and they’ll be ok?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it takes an hours read there to learn the system based on work examples, there are little details we do to keep it working well such as lesser light times when you set it up/ not full strength 10 hours like before you ramp up lighting back over a weeks time

and how to rinse the sand in tap water then ro at the end, after you read the work links and see the outcomes it will be clear. The thread is getting big for sure but linking is the only way to convey the small details we found over time

only the bacteria on rocks matters, so in every job we rinse live rocks only in saltwater which doesn’t harm them

OP
OP
lostmylenscap

lostmylenscap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it takes an hours read there to learn the system based on work examples, there are little details we do to keep it working well such as lesser light times when you set it up/ not full strength 10 hours like before you ramp up lighting back over a weeks time

and how to rinse the sand in tap water then ro at the end, after you read the work links and see the outcomes it will be clear. The thread is getting big for sure but linking is the only way to convey the small details we found over time

only the bacteria on rocks matters, so in every job we rinse live rocks only in saltwater which doesn’t harm them
Got it! I’ll get reading :)
Thanks again!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it seems so weird to rinse fully :) but we made that thread to address the massive loss reefs were enduring when moving homes or trying to beat an invasion, we found that rinsing out the sandbed to total clarity with tap water then finally RO water last rinse, and then rinsing rocks in saltwater so they don’t have detritus stuck to them + all new water was the key to successful moves.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the tank is so young & if it was me, I'd just move it w/o rinsing the sand. Prep new salt water at new apt to use after tank transport. Once at new apt, put everything back and add new water while throwing out old water being careful not to stir the sand too much.

OP
OP
lostmylenscap

lostmylenscap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since the tank is so young & if it was me, I'd just move it w/o rinsing the sand. Prep new salt water at new apt to use after tank transport. Once at new apt, put everything back and add new water while throwing out old water being careful not to stir the sand too much.
That’s smart! Then I can just re-fill as quickly as possible haha
Thanks! :)

OP
OP
lostmylenscap

lostmylenscap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a successful move into the new apartment. I rinsed my sand and mixed all new water and had it ready in the apartment and everything is going great! Levels are still solid and the fish are active and appear happy. I have also added my first coral to the tank, a little green and pale purple hammer frag ;Shamefullyembarrased

6622C841-4DB4-444A-B408-E0ACA50FD281.jpeg 24326AAD-E5BF-4C47-85D7-318D16EAB780.jpeg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back