Moving to FL

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im making similar move in a few months and plan is to take everything in 3 large coolers and I will be using a large air pump plugged into 4 way gang valve for air to each cooler and power via a plugin inverter and adding a few drops of seachem Prime halfway through the drive to reduce any ammonia
Im draoing the tops with heavy plastic for splash but with holes to allow air exchange
Now you know you have to post pics of your set-up for moving...it will be educational, especially for me when I do another cross country trip with my 20gal Nano in a four-door sedan (BMW 5series)..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Now you know you have to post pics of your set-up for moving...it will be educational, especially for me when I do another cross country trip with my 20gal Nano in a four-door sedan (BMW 5series)..
I can post immediate pic of tank but have to have a stand built which I’ll hire out and have an electrician add outlet to area

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just be advised Florida stopped caring about covid like a year and a half ago so don't get ***** if no one is wearing a mask.
My home state...lol I saw and noticed that last year...lol I was the oddball wearing a mask in a Walmart in Tampa...lol i was like what the heck... Only in Florida...lol

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My home state...lol I saw and noticed that last year...lol I was the oddball wearing a mask in a Walmart in Tampa...lol i was like what the heck... Only in Florida...lol
Yeah it's funny, we stopped caring and the news lost their minds and we basically said whatever. We can tell who the snowbirds are by who is wearing a mask while driving. I only wear one if the place I am going to requires one which typically are federal entities.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me add a few additional suggestions: Do a few extra water changes before you go and get everything "cleaned" up, that is to say, free of detritus. Try to minimize any "cycle" from occurring during or after your trip. Assuming your fish are all fat and healthy, skip feeding them for 24 to 48 hours before the trip. This helps to reduce the waste they would otherwise release during transport. Take extra water. If you run into to trouble - see below - having extra water for an emergency water change could be life saving. Keep your livestock spread out if possible. Taking extra volume is a hassle for sure, but if one container goes bad it is good not to have all of your eggs in one basket. Beware of livestock that you can't really tell if they are ok or not; keep them separate if possible. I transported a trash can full of fish a short distance. At the last minute I tossed in my turbo grazer that was closed up, not knowing that it had just died. The operculum came loose during the trip, hydrogen sulfide was released and my fish were all dead or dying by the time I arrived. I had no spare water on hand and continued to lose fish before I could get them out of the hydrogen sulfide contaminated water.
One last bit, dress lightly and keep your vehicle warm as you travel. This minimizes the work your heater needs to do. Best of luck!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 173 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back