Moving update - Disaster!

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my tank and moving to a new place.

I decided to play it safe and set up my Fluval Evo in my brother-in-law's garage; everything seemed normal for the 1st couple of days...until yesterday. Here what I believe happened; the ATO's float valve got stuck, causing the last baffle's water level to drop. When the water level dropped the heater turned itself off (or at least I think it did, because it's working fine now) from overheating. This caused the temperature of the tank to drop to 68-70 degrees ☹️. I lost all of my corals. It was devastating to see - I didn't even bother taking pictures, I just took the tank apart...to my surprise, my clownfish and fire shrimp survived - currently in a 5-gallon bucket with a sponge filter.

As for the tank - I'm starting from scratch. I went and bought 15 lbs of Caribsea life rock and 10 lbs of Caribsea pink fiji arag-alive sand . I cleaned everything out of the tank before adding, took apart all of the equipment, and gave it a good scrub, and am now cycling the tank.

I hope my clownfish & fire shrimp will be okay in the bucket for about a week or so.
tempImageZw5hHm.jpg

OP
OP
Reefing Reefer

Reefing Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if they will make it for a whole week in a bucket you need some type of water movement. i would personally drop them in the tank already clowns are pretty resilient
There's a small sponge filter running of an air pump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update on my tank and moving to a new place.

I decided to play it safe and set up my Fluval Evo in my brother-in-law's garage; everything seemed normal for the 1st couple of days...until yesterday. Here what I believe happened; the ATO's float valve got stuck, causing the last baffle's water level to drop. When the water level dropped the heater turned itself off (or at least I think it did, because it's working fine now) from overheating. This caused the temperature of the tank to drop to 68-70 degrees ☹️. I lost all of my corals. It was devastating to see - I didn't even bother taking pictures, I just took the tank apart...to my surprise, my clownfish and fire shrimp survived - currently in a 5-gallon bucket with a sponge filter.

As for the tank - I'm starting from scratch. I went and bought 15 lbs of Caribsea life rock and 10 lbs of Caribsea pink fiji arag-alive sand . I cleaned everything out of the tank before adding, took apart all of the equipment, and gave it a good scrub, and am now cycling the tank.

I hope my clownfish & fire shrimp will be okay in the bucket for about a week or so.
tempImageZw5hHm.jpg
Sorry to hear. The downfalls of equipment failures

OP
OP
Reefing Reefer

Reefing Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my temp tank - 5 gallon bucket w/ small sponge filter. I cut a hole on the lid and used my stock evo light. Perfect and cheap setup; I plan on adding a small cheap wave maker and will use it as a quarantine tank going forward.

Back