Moving update - Disaster!

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2020
Messages
161
Reaction score
167
Location
Sherman Oaks
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my tank and moving to a new place.

I decided to play it safe and set up my Fluval Evo in my brother-in-law's garage; everything seemed normal for the 1st couple of days...until yesterday. Here what I believe happened; the ATO's float valve got stuck, causing the last baffle's water level to drop. When the water level dropped the heater turned itself off (or at least I think it did, because it's working fine now) from overheating. This caused the temperature of the tank to drop to 68-70 degrees ☹️. I lost all of my corals. It was devastating to see - I didn't even bother taking pictures, I just took the tank apart...to my surprise, my clownfish and fire shrimp survived - currently in a 5-gallon bucket with a sponge filter.

As for the tank - I'm starting from scratch. I went and bought 15 lbs of Caribsea life rock and 10 lbs of Caribsea pink fiji arag-alive sand . I cleaned everything out of the tank before adding, took apart all of the equipment, and gave it a good scrub, and am now cycling the tank.

I hope my clownfish & fire shrimp will be okay in the bucket for about a week or so.
tempImageZw5hHm.jpg
 
I'm not sure if they will make it for a whole week in a bucket you need some type of water movement. i would personally drop them in the tank already clowns are pretty resilient
There's a small sponge filter running of an air pump.
 
Update on my tank and moving to a new place.

I decided to play it safe and set up my Fluval Evo in my brother-in-law's garage; everything seemed normal for the 1st couple of days...until yesterday. Here what I believe happened; the ATO's float valve got stuck, causing the last baffle's water level to drop. When the water level dropped the heater turned itself off (or at least I think it did, because it's working fine now) from overheating. This caused the temperature of the tank to drop to 68-70 degrees ☹️. I lost all of my corals. It was devastating to see - I didn't even bother taking pictures, I just took the tank apart...to my surprise, my clownfish and fire shrimp survived - currently in a 5-gallon bucket with a sponge filter.

As for the tank - I'm starting from scratch. I went and bought 15 lbs of Caribsea life rock and 10 lbs of Caribsea pink fiji arag-alive sand . I cleaned everything out of the tank before adding, took apart all of the equipment, and gave it a good scrub, and am now cycling the tank.

I hope my clownfish & fire shrimp will be okay in the bucket for about a week or so.
tempImageZw5hHm.jpg
Sorry to hear. The downfalls of equipment failures
 
I feel your pain, I have moved my tank twice and every time it is a coral disaster. I have lost thousands in my collection.
 
Update on my temp tank - 5 gallon bucket w/ small sponge filter. I cut a hole on the lid and used my stock evo light. Perfect and cheap setup; I plan on adding a small cheap wave maker and will use it as a quarantine tank going forward. View attachment 2060870
View attachment 2060871
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new