Moving with a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium

WV Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be moving probably within the next 30 to 45 days. I have a 55 gallon tank with 7 fish, a cleaner shrimp, a few snails, 2 hermit crabs, and 3 corals. Can I drain most all of the water, remove the rock, and leave the fish in the aquarium for the move? I am only moving 11 miles from my current home, and I will be able to have the aquarium set back up within just an hour or so after moving. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 38 before. All water, rock and coral, fish and inverts went into buckets with lids. Moved, reassembled, no death. I even labelled the buckets to which rock and where it belonged. In hindsight, the biggest concern is nitrate spike from detritus from sand. In hindsight, I should have at least vacuumed it prior.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not leave them in the DT for transport.
Shifting of your sand bed may release some unwanted stuff, potentially an ammonia spike.
Move it, put water and rock back in, test for ammonia, then put your friends back in.
Any totes will be find to hold them short term.
Always play safe.

OP
OP
WV Reef

WV Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 38 before. All water, rock and coral, fish and inverts went into buckets with lids. Moved, reassembled, no death. I even labelled the buckets to which rock and where it belonged. In hindsight, the biggest concern is nitrate spike from detritus from sand. In hindsight, I should have at least vacuumed it prior.
Thanks. I was thinking of putting everybody and the rocks in buckets. I was just trying to think of other options. More than likely I'll put them in buckets or totes.

OP
OP
WV Reef

WV Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not leave them in the DT for transport.
Shifting of your sand bed may release some unwanted stuff, potentially an ammonia spike.
Move it, put water and rock back in, test for ammonia, then put your friends back in.
Any totes will be find to hold them short term.
I didnt even think of a possible ammonia spike. Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back