Moving :(

rob2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are moving from Vt to Fl and I must return everything to the store. My question is with the move I must re-start my tank, is there any way to shorten the re-start cycle? I was thinking I could save my sand and seal it in a bucket and when we get to Fl dump it in the tank is that a good idea or a bad one. They other thing I was wondering about if I use the saltwater that is already pre-mixed and fill my tank with that, will that help? I remember seeing on TV where they did that and then added the fish, not sure it will work. My tank is a 30 gal nano. I just got this tank squared away!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to do it with no cycle is start with live rock. Live sand and ocean water will not be enough. Live rock will. Good luck on the move!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw sand away, put live rock in a sealed container minus water, it will stay wet. Put up new tank add brightwell micro bacter starter and new tank will be cycled in a week or 2. I literally just did this except my rock was stored for 6 months in a sealed tub and it was still damp even some of the gha was still alive lol

OP
OP
rob2010

rob2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw sand away, put live rock in a sealed container minus water, it will stay wet. Put up new tank add brightwell micro bacter starter and new tank will be cycled in a week or 2. I literally just did this except my rock was stored for 6 months in a sealed tub and it was still damp even some of the gha was still alive lol
What is GHA?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are moving from Vt to Fl and I must return everything to the store. My question is with the move I must re-start my tank, is there any way to shorten the re-start cycle? I was thinking I could save my sand and seal it in a bucket and when we get to Fl dump it in the tank is that a good idea or a bad one. They other thing I was wondering about if I use the saltwater that is already pre-mixed and fill my tank with that, will that help? I remember seeing on TV where they did that and then added the fish, not sure it will work. My tank is a 30 gal nano. I just got this tank squared away!

Don't save the sand... it can be filthy and I always rinse it if I have to move. Save the rock in a bucket. You can use biospira to help jump start the cycle.

When we move, I plan to take everything with me but it will be a nightmare I am sure lol

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank after 3 weeks set up. Using the rock stored without water from back in September.

Attachments

• 8BD1DA0F-2108-4341-9539-5710E62DBCF6.jpeg
    8BD1DA0F-2108-4341-9539-5710E62DBCF6.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 34

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back