mp 40 flow and back up question

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 mp-40's for a 225. I have them on the back wall about 5-6 inches below surface. They are plugged into back ups (echomarine). If power goes out, they will provide flow but not surface agitation and with the mp's, you cannot point them at the surface.

On either end I have the RS 45's gyres. They add the surface agitation.

Question: should the mp-40's be closer to the surface? I hate to mess with the flow as everything is happy and my sandbed is pretty pristine but if power goes out and it is hours before we can hook up the generator, I don't want to lose corals or fish.

Tank is 79 inch long. Each set about 10" from overflow box

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine without the MP40s pointing at the surface. Flow is... flow. The most important thing is that you have some flow during an extended outage. So yes, you could move the MP40s up a few inches - but if you're happy your flow I'd be inclined to leave them where they are. Btw, my ReefWave45s and backup XF330s are all about 4-5" from the surface of the water and there seems to be enough surface agitation and wave action.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blaxsun as you have both models which one you like better in all terms?

I have 2 XF-250 and they have been solid but to be honest the cleaning is a most. Lately i have been avoiding to dissemble them for deep cleaning as i broke some plastic clips mounting them back.

Thanks in advance...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefWave45s, hands down. Performance is night and day, cleaning and maintenance is way easier with the ReefWaves (they have a short disconnect so you don't need to unbundle the whole cord) and the WIFi/programming options are far superior.

That being said, for solely backups (and when I have the ReefWaves down for maintenance) the XF330s work great.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine without the MP40s pointing at the surface. Flow is... flow. The most important thing is that you have some flow during an extended outage. So yes, you could move the MP40s up a few inches - but if you're happy your flow I'd be inclined to leave them where they are. Btw, my ReefWave45s and backup XF330s are all about 4-5" from the surface of the water and there seems to be enough surface agitation and wave action.
ok, great. Might move one up a bit. Thinking about getting a back up for the reef 45's

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefWave45s, hands down. Performance is night and day, cleaning and maintenance is way easier with the ReefWaves (they have a short disconnect so you don't need to unbundle the whole cord) and the WIFi/programming options are far superior.

That being said, for solely backups (and when I have the ReefWaves down for maintenance) the XF330s work great.
Thanks for the honest feedback @blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, great. Might move one up a bit. Thinking about getting a back up for the reef 45's
The magnet on the XF330s is not quite strong enough for the glass on the XXL and 3XL, so I adhered a foam pad to the outside magnet to give it a bit more grip (just one of those $1 thin pass with 2-sided tape you find at most craft stores). I run mine off the new IceCap battery backup which has a Y-split that can power both pumps.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnet on the XF330s is not quite strong enough for the glass on the XXL and 3XL, so I adhered a foam pad to the outside magnet to give it a bit more grip (just one of those $1 thin pass with 2-sided tape you find at most craft stores). I run mine off the new IceCap battery backup which has a Y-split that can power both pumps.
I will check that out as I believe the echomarine can only run mp40's.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back