Can i combine Gyre Pumps with Nero & MP Pumps?

Element

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

My first Reef Tank is running for about 6 months now, it's a 100 gallon Red Sea 525 XL tank.
My first mistake was starting with a MP60 which is clearly way too big for the tank, i let it run on a very low setting (about 10%) and then a few weeks ago i bought a Nero 5 to put on the opposite side.

I set the Nero up quite high with an angle towards the surface, giving the tank good surface agitation. The MP60 now runs at 5% across the front glass in reef crest mode. I turned the Pump up to like 20-30% two times, both times resulting in a Torch or Hammer Euphy letting go of one of it's heads. I recently got into the Gyre Pumps and i consider buying 2 or 4 of the Maxspect Gyre 330 Cloud Pumps, to give me a really random flow pattern across the whole tank. I don't see a way i can integrate the MP60 without giving the coralls too much flow to handle but i would like to use the Nero 5 still.

Does anyone have expierience with combining Gyre Pumps with normal pumps like Nero or MP's and does anyone have a similar oversized Pump and managed to integrate it usefull?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye, that's not a problem at all - it's all about the right tool for the right job and getting the right kind and amount of flow where you want it. A handful of different style powerheads are often better than sticking to one type - so don't worry about that.

I have 2 x ReefWave 45 gyre and 2 x MP40's on my 4 foot tank. I have a limited amount of coral yet, but I will definetly have to change my flow as my tank matures. So will you!

Flow is not a "set it and forget it" thing, so use your Nero's, MP's or whatever you have with your gyres! :D

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can see the gyre pumps on the sides and the MP40s on the back.

Attachments

• PXL_20231214_153739632.jpg
    PXL_20231214_153739632.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
E

Element

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye, that's not a problem at all - it's all about the right tool for the right job and getting the right kind and amount of flow where you want it. A handful of different style powerheads are often better than sticking to one type - so don't worry about that.

I have 2 x ReefWave 45 gyre and 2 x MP40's on my 4 foot tank. I have a limited amount of coral yet, but I will definetly have to change my flow as my tank matures. So will you!

Flow is not a "set it and forget it" thing, so use your Nero's, MP's or whatever you have with your gyres! :D
Thank you for your input!

Yeah i want to get the flow as random as possible, i don't aim to get the real "gyre effect". The new Gyre 330 Cloud edition can put the flow in 4 diffrent occasions with one pump, which made me really interested into those.

I still don't think i can use the MP60 tho, even on 1% it puts out about 11'400 LPA, that's a 29x turnover

I would love to "copy" your placement but with a pump like that i think it's too much flow

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input!

Yeah i want to get the flow as random as possible, i don't aim to get the real "gyre effect". The new Gyre 330 Cloud edition can put the flow in 4 diffrent occasions with one pump, which made me really interested into those.

I still don't think i can use the MP60 tho, even on 1% it puts out about 11'400 LPA, that's a 29x turnover

I would love to "copy" your placement but with a pump like that i think it's too much flow
Do you have any corals in your tank now? :) Share a picture, let's have a look!

As for the MP60s, they are powerful beasts indeed - and very, very costly!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MP60 has a gyre mode too. I run 2 MP40s on my 36x22x22 tank for almost 3 years now. I started out thinking I need all this strong random flow similar to the ocean just like you are considering. I learned that in an SPS dominant mixed reef tank, strong flow helped some corals and killed others. My pumps now ramp up to 28% max during the day on reefcrest and 20% overnight and my tank thrives.

OP
OP
E

Element

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any corals in your tank now? :) Share a picture, let's have a look!

As for the MP60s, they are powerful beasts indeed - and very, very costly!
I'll take some photos tommorow since i changed some rock builds last week. I mostly have LPS Corals and a Kenia Tree in my tank.

OP
OP
E

Element

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back