MP 60 Noise and the QD Upgrade

  • Thread starter Thread starter -Logzor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
2,563
Reaction score
324
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the new Quite Drive version of the MP60 also reduce noise by 90%? If so, will replacing only the driver reduce the noise on my old version of the pump? If not, is there some sort of exchange program available to upgrade the pump entirely?

The product demonstrations of the MP40 are certainly impressive, but the MP60 seems to suffer from noise that's more of a grinding, possible a result of the fan assembly, rather than a humming/whining noise associated with the original MP40. I've owned the MP60 for almost 4 years now, I even had the motor replaced, twice, thinking there was a problem with the pump, due to the noise it produced.
 
Will the new Quite Drive version of the MP60 also reduce noise by 90%? If so, will replacing only the driver reduce the noise on my old version of the pump? If not, is there some sort of exchange program available to upgrade the pump entirely?

The product demonstrations of the MP40 are certainly impressive, but the MP60 seems to suffer from noise that's more of a grinding, possible a result of the fan assembly, rather than a humming/whining noise associated with the original MP40. I've owned the MP60 for almost 4 years now, I even had the motor replaced, twice, thinking there was a problem with the pump, due to the noise it produced.

The 90% reduction comparison is between the original MP40 and its new QuietDrive counterpart. Although, yes there will be SIGNIFICANT noise reduction! I'm not quite sure the actual numbers and percentages, but I'll search them out.

YES! Switching out (upgrading) the driver will significantly reduce the noise across the VorTech line, including MP60s.

There hasn't been any indication that they will implement an exchange program. I wouldn't be too sure they will either, but that's my opinion.

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team
 
The 90% reduction comparison is between the original MP40 and its new QuietDrive counterpart. Although, yes there will be SIGNIFICANT noise reduction! I'm not quite sure the actual numbers and percentages, but I'll search them out.

YES! Switching out (upgrading) the driver will significantly reduce the noise across the VorTech line, including MP60s.

There hasn't been any indication that they will implement an exchange program. I wouldn't be too sure they will either, but that's my opinion.

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team

What sort of investment would involve quieting down my MP60? I'm assuming just the new drive is required?
 
What sort of investment would involve quieting down my MP60? I'm assuming just the new drive is required?

I believe the prices for the replacement parts will become available at the product launch. The initial reports are that upgrades should be near or under $100, but a more official price listing is soon to come. [emoji4]
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new