• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

MP10 and MP40 / Octo Pulse 2 and 4 Anemone Guards

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I requested the new guard with wide flow nozzle in the last pic. Came better than expected. Looks great in tank. The 3d print job is phenomenal, and the replacement cut is perfect. Snaps on very easy. The flow pattern is kind of hard to really see for now, but will know a bit better when I replace both on same side.

Attachments

• 20220713_175359.jpg
    20220713_175359.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220713_175403.jpg
    20220713_175403.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20220713_175411.jpg
    20220713_175411.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20220713_175423.jpg
    20220713_175423.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220713_205046.jpg
    20220713_205046.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220713_205104.jpg
    20220713_205104.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 95

motolatte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these also widen flow and has anyone noticed if noise is the same as the stock cover? I picked upn urhin gaurd from somewhere else and the grinding noise is not enjoyable.

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these also widen flow and has anyone noticed if noise is the same as the stock cover? I picked upn urhin gaurd from somewhere else and the grinding noise is not enjoyable.
The standard one will not widen the flow. There are some pictures in the thread of a custom guard with a cone in front to widen the flow.

Was yours quiet before adding the urchin guard? The stock cover has a propeller shaft guide at the front. Some of the 3d covers I have seen do not. Perhaps this is causing it?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was much quieter before using the urchin guard. It does have a shaft guide. Maybe the tolerances are too tight on it. How far below the surface do you think this can be placed before drawing in air?

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was much quieter before using the urchin guard. It does have a shaft guide. Maybe the tolerances are too tight on it. How far below the surface do you think this can be placed before drawing in air?
Good question. The guards are slightly wider than the stock guards to allow more surface area and hole number. While this would make the guard a bit closer to the surface the larger outside surface would also decrease suction across the face a little. Would depend a lot on how much water you are pushing through them too. I use guards on my Octo 2 pumps and did not change their depth after swapping the stock guards out.

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a request for the MP40 Nem guard with flow widening nozzle. Size and angle of the center and outer cones can be tailored.
IMG_6304[1].JPG
Might be tough to ask for specific specs, but do you have any idea to what flow angle this guard modifies to? I'm considering getting an MP40 (and then one of the guards)

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be tough to ask for specific specs, but do you have any idea to what flow angle this guard modifies to? I'm considering getting an MP40 (and then one of the guards)
The ones I made for @carlosec83 had about a 45 degree angle on the cone. Do you need nem guards? I have adapters that clip onto the stock guard and effectively do the same thing on the stock guard. I have one designed with a narrow deflector cone and one with a wider cone. They don't have a small center cone but pushing water through a cone which widens also causes the flow to broaden as it exits.
IMG_6589.JPG

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I could definitely use the nem guard feature as well. I'm in an odd situation where my tank is too small for an MP40, but the glass is too thick for an MP10. By widening the angle, I could effectively make the flow more gentle so its not throwing sand around and ripping LPS up. Luckily I'm not too bad at fluid dynamics so I'm trying to work out effective flow change rates based on the math, I just haven't figured out how that applies to the biology side of the animals in a tank.

The smart answer is to ditch the cordless dream, but with the exception of my current powerheads I've got no cords in the tank, so I'm trying to make it work.

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I could definitely use the nem guard feature as well. I'm in an odd situation where my tank is too small for an MP40, but the glass is too thick for an MP10. By widening the angle, I could effectively make the flow more gentle so its not throwing sand around and ripping LPS up. Luckily I'm not too bad at fluid dynamics so I'm trying to work out effective flow change rates based on the math, I just haven't figured out how that applies to the biology side of the animals in a tank.

The smart answer is to ditch the cordless dream, but with the exception of my current powerheads I've got no cords in the tank, so I'm trying to make it work.
Sounds interesting. Let me know if you want to try something. I can tailor the inner and outer cones on size and angle to pretty much anything you might like. The previous ones I would call a fairly wide flow. The edge of the outer cone extends almost the full width of the exit from the front of the guard so most of the water will be deflected with a little water exiting through the center to fill in the front flow a bit. I only have the wet side so I can't put them in a tank and blow bubbles through them to see actual flow. Maybe @carlosec83 will chime in on how they are working out and flow dynamics.

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine running with no problems, with the wider flow it DOES reduce the overall strength of the flow, by approximately 10-15% give or take. The wide flow is Much wider than that of the stock. I ran 2 wide with anemone guards (see image) and 2 stock, the flow was nice and wide. I did a bubble test and the flow pattern from the cone is appx 1.5 to 2x wider than the stock. I have a peninsula and chose to run 4 mp40's to prevent having to use 2 mp60's and damaging coral too close to the pumps, and the wide flow adapter made it even smoother for the corals on the pumps side without affecting the overall water movement on the display end of the tank. So much so the anemones hang our closest to the pumps side.

By the way, for as long as I have ran them there is no noise coming from the guard other than the standard humming of the dry side. The 3d print was exact and clicked on tight with the wet side. I might have to get 2 more to interchange while cleaning them out. The anemone guard did save me 2 times already, had my 2 nems split into 12 and sometimes I fish em out to the fuge, but the nem guards really did help to prevent them getting chopped up.

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did a custom wide flow for me, which is what I requested. The details I pointed out are all for a fixed 1 piece anemone guard with wide flow.

OP
OP
S

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine running with no problems, with the wider flow it DOES reduce the overall strength of the flow, by approximately 10-15% give or take. The wide flow is Much wider than that of the stock. I ran 2 wide with anemone guards (see image) and 2 stock, the flow was nice and wide. I did a bubble test and the flow pattern from the cone is appx 1.5 to 2x wider than the stock. I have a peninsula and chose to run 4 mp40's to prevent having to use 2 mp60's and damaging coral too close to the pumps, and the wide flow adapter made it even smoother for the corals on the pumps side without affecting the overall water movement on the display end of the tank. So much so the anemones hang our closest to the pumps side.

By the way, for as long as I have ran them there is no noise coming from the guard other than the standard humming of the dry side. The 3d print was exact and clicked on tight with the wet side. I might have to get 2 more to interchange while cleaning them out. The anemone guard did save me 2 times already, had my 2 nems split into 12 and sometimes I fish em out to the fuge, but the nem guards really did help to prevent them getting chopped up.
Thanks for the feedback and insight after using them for a while. Glad they are working well for you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back