MP10 placement advice

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 MP10's in my 40 Breeder.
Trying to find as optimal placement as i can. I used to have 1 on each side wall, and one on the back, but yesterday i switched all 3 to the back wall. Visually it's much cleaner. hopefully this will work for future growth. My goal is to have areas of high flow and areas of lower flow to be able to accommodate as much variety as possible in corals.

Opinions are very much welcome.
(ignore the cloudiness, i just mixed up the sand again prior to the pictures. the water is usually crystal clear.)
IMG_1067.jpg
IMG_1068.jpg
IMG_1069.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

It does look clean. My one thought is they seem low and partially blocked by rock. I mention that to be sure they are giving the surface agitation for gas exchange.

Whenever I mess around with pumps I keep a litttle flake food on hand to show flow patters to be sure are no dead spots.

Tank looks good.

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pumps halfway behind the rock was somewhat of an intentional choice. I was hoping that 1/2 the flow being blocked would deflect it and add a little more randomness, as well as keep the backsides of the rocks clean.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look clean. My one thought is they seem low and partially blocked by rock. I mention that to be sure they are giving the surface agitation for gas exchange.

I kinda agree about having good surface agitation. I'm able to direct my returns slightly upward to give surface agitation, and rely on my power heads to provide the flow I want. Doesn't look like you have that option.

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a little adjustment. Brought the heads up and out. There Definitally is surface agitation, just didn’t look like it because everything was off in the other pictures.

17CA7AAD-C217-42C8-8892-64E18814847A.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface agitation from the power head is unnecessary unless you’re woeful low on sump turnover. This usually presents as a film on the water surface. If you don’t have that then you’ve plenty of surface ‘agitation’. I always put my vortech as low as possible before they become sand movers.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back