Mp10 vs Mp40

Kruss7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am doing a 35g cube build, it will be an SPS tank.

I am wondering if I should get 2 MP40s and run them very low settings or if that will be way too much flow even at the lowest.

Otherwise, I could get 2 MP10s.

The MP40s are on sale near me right now and there is only a small difference in price, I was leaning towards them for longevity if I upgrade. Please let me know what you all think as I have never had MP10s or MP40s.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am doing a 35g cube build, it will be an SPS tank.

I am wondering if I should get 2 MP40s and run them very low settings or if that will be way too much flow even at the lowest.

Otherwise, I could get 2 MP10s.

The MP40s are on sale near me right now and there is only a small difference in price, I was leaning towards them for longevity if I upgrade. Please let me know what you all think as I have never had MP10s or MP40s.
mp40 all day long, at low speed you wont even know they are on ( noise wise)

agree... you may not be in 35g cube forever and you'll have so much versatility for the price....

regarding ON SALE... check if they are MORBIUS READY newer version... most of the pre-software is likely out of stores, but since its rare to see EcoTech on sale, ... there may be a reason...

In your smaller tank with potentially smaller fish, you might want to pickup on of those 3D printed NemProtect guards... my little ruby red dragonet I grew from scrap into cutie 1 1/2" fish died in my MP40 wet side... now I have those guards on to protect any other fish but doesn't bring back my ruby red

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Two MP40s in a 35 gallon tank? You must be kidding.

I had one in a 40 cube and anything outside of SPS corals are going to get destroyed on the lowest setting. They move a lot of water.

Absolutely not on 2 40s. Depending on the build and what you plan to keep, one will be tough to tame. I would go with an MP10 or if you're feeling like creating a hurricane, two mp10s.

srit1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found MP40s to be the most silent when not very slow or very fast. If that were to be the case in a 35 gallon they will easily be too much.

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at these today. They are "on sale" at 25% off at BRS, SaltwaterAquarium.com, etc... so I'm not so sure how exclusive the sale is. I have no direct experience with the units yet, but a 40, let alone a pair of them, seems extremely overpowered for a tank that size.

Anyway:

VorTech QuietDrive Quick Compare
PumpMobius Ready?Max Flow RateTank SizeMaxiumum Tank ThicknessPower Consumption
MP10mQDYes2,500+ GPH2.5 to 50+ gallons0.375 inches (9.5mm)8 to 19 watts
MP40mQDYes5,000+ GPH50 to 500+ gallons0.75 inches (19mm)9 to 37 watts
MP60mQDYes9,000+ GPH120 to 1,000+ gallons0.375 to 1.00 inches (9.5 to 26mm)10 to 60 watts

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp40 all the way. I agree. I put 2 mp40's on my 40 gallon frag tank and they worked great. I initially was only going to do sps in the frag tank but it turned into something else as sps took a while to start growing in there. So I starred with lps.

I ran the mp40s with mostly LPS and sps at the top on racks. Worked great at low speeds. No noise.

This is your best bet. Forget about the mp10's. This also gives you a pump you can grow with

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP40 vote here. There is not such a thing as too much flow if the right setting and placement is figure out. But the most important part for a vote for MP40 is the wetside, MP10 wetside are really bad. The ceramic shaft will break on the MP10 a lot faster than on the MP40, yes I have both for years and the replacement rate between the two even with proper maintenance is huge. I have 4 years old MP40 still running with the same wetside, again proper maintenance and lubrication is the key. Also make sure to use the proper spacer between the dryside and the glass depending on your glass thickness, this also make a difference in life expectancy on both: dryside and wetside.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier is OPs mention of LFS sale on EcoTech and as the sale prices are flooding in, feeling like perhaps EcoTech is funding this sale behind the scenes ... not something they often do...

I just bought 2 more MP40s, but new will be the MP40QDs. My current 10+ years old MP40s run at 1/3 speed and will move into my 55g... Unlike some who think overpowered, I agree with those above saying can be tuned just right... PLUS pre-sale I ordered two pico AIO tanks that arrived today... MP40s with NemProtect covers are on the large side... but who knows... one might go in each pico tank... it's fun deciding!

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree... you may not be in 35g cube forever and you'll have so much versatility for the price....

regarding ON SALE... check if they are MORBIUS READY newer version... most of the pre-software is likely out of stores, but since its rare to see EcoTech on sale, ... there may be a reason...

In your smaller tank with potentially smaller fish, you might want to pickup on of those 3D printed NemProtect guards... my little ruby red dragonet I grew from scrap into cutie 1 1/2" fish died in my MP40 wet side... now I have those guards on to protect any other fish but doesn't bring back my ruby red
AI and Ecotech moved into a huge new production facility together and the manufacturing has significantly ramped up. I've seen the black friday list for all the bertram brands and the vortech's will also be 25% off then. everything you order from a vendor who abides by the MAP pricing (BRS, Saltwateraquarium.com etc) will only be selling new stock. no need to worry about mobius support.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 40 cube I am running one mp40 and two mp10s. I am running a wide flow nem guard on the MP40 and even that is too much. Look if you want to spend $300+ on a powerhead that you are using at 1-2% that's fine but it is a waste. You can't use any of the modes like reef crest because if you chose max speed at 1% you are not going to have any fluctuations.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x MP40 is nuts in a 35g you’ll be peeling the skin off acros unless they’re placed extremely well and run on low. I have 2 on my standard 75g sps tank and if I don’t run them in anti-sync gyre mode anything in the middle of the tank is getting absolutely blasted nonstop.

TopperHutch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI and Ecotech moved into a huge new production facility together and the manufacturing has significantly ramped up. I've seen the black friday list for all the bertram brands and the vortech's will also be 25% off then. everything you order from a vendor who abides by the MAP pricing (BRS, Saltwateraquarium.com etc) will only be selling new stock. no need to worry about mobius support.
What else was on their black friday list?

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when will the 25% off happen? Black Friday sales are live everywhere and the discount is only 15%.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the no cord in the tank is important I see why you’re looking at ETM. However, I would strongly encourage you to look at Octopulse pumps. They are great pumps and I never see issues like I see pop up on this forum for the ETM pumps all the time.

I do not mean to derail this thread, but just wanted to propose a viable alternative.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when will the 25% off happen? Black Friday sales are live everywhere and the discount is only 15%.
I saw it on the list idk….I didn’t pay attention to any dates.

I imagine it will be a timed thing like they did today where Red Sea is more discounted.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back