MP40’s

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide if I should go with the vortex MP40’s on my 90 gallon reef tank, I already use the ecotech radions and have been happy with the lights, I’m just hesitant to spend so much on the power heads, my biggest draw to them is that the cords are outside the tank and they’ve had such good reviews.
My second choice would be AI Nero 5.
I’m curious how many think it’s worth spending the extra on the MP40’s ?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do
I have a couple of sets of gyre pumps, Tunze pumps, Rossmont and Jebao pumps in boxes in the fishroom.
I have 4 MP60, 2 MP40s and an MP10 in my tanks.
My MP10 is one of the old white ones. Still going strong. It was made in Nov 2011.
The most expensive way to buy Vortechs is to buy them last when nothing else does the job.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s one less app, the cords are outside the tank and you can get spare wetsides for cleaning and maintenance. But yes, you can essentially get a pair of Nero5s for the price of a single MP40. If you can swing it I say get the powerheads that you want.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do
I have a couple of sets of gyre pumps, Tunze pumps, Rossmont and Jebao pumps in boxes in the fishroom.
I have 4 MP60, 2 MP40s and an MP10 in my tanks.
My MP10 is one of the old white ones. Still going strong. It was made in Nov 2011.
The most expensive way to buy Vortechs is to buy them last when nothing else does the job.
My radions are probably 5+ years with no problems, and past experiences with buying other lights or power heads taught me most do not last long .
I did buy a Nero 3 for my nano tank since it only has soft corals in it and I want to save money to get the best equipment for my new aquarium.
Thank you for your response

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radions are probably 5+ years with no problems, and past experiences with buying other lights or power heads taught me most do not last long .
I did buy a Nero 3 for my nano tank since it only has soft corals in it and I want to save money to get the best equipment for my new aquarium.
Thank you for your response
In the end I spent a lot of money trying to save money.
Total fail on my part.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, tunze outlasts vortech. Vortech kind of easily lets you replace dry side, wet side etc as needed. The wet side propeller will rust, but can be replaced with the wet side. I like the bells and whistles of the vortech with extra wet sides, easy to clean and place a new one on without interruption in your tank flow. It just comes at a premium. You can't aim them. Tunze mostly wins in most aspects if you don't care about those bells and whistles. It just has a cord in the tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea XL300 and went with all Ecotech components including the MP40s. The ease of the Mobius app to control everything is great and all the pre sets they offer for lights and flow powerheads really make syncing everything nice to.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is ok. I've got two older ones I've had to change the bearings on. Then I've got a new QD I bought on sale before they jacked the price up. You've got to ask yourself the question. Are you willing to spend $400 on a pump? Some people wouldn't blink an eye, and others would laugh their head off. Then it seems most people end up buying another wet side for $80, too. If I was going to buy two, I'd at least wait for black Friday. No, at the current price, I don't think they are worth it.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is ok. I've got two older ones I've had to change the bearings on. Then I've got a new QD I bought on sale before they jacked the price up. You've got to ask yourself the question. Are you willing to spend $400 on a pump? Some people wouldn't blink an eye, and others would laugh their head off. Then it seems most people end up buying another wet side for $80, too. If I was going to buy two, I'd at least wait for black Friday. No, at the current price, I don't think they are worth it.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back an looked at a thread from last year, and the consensus was don't hold your breathe on Ecotech on any black Friday deals. Notoriously stingy. I wouldn't spend money now to save money later. It would be a wash unless you have a use for the cheap power head. It all comes down to the cords. I'm the worse one to ask on something like this; it takes me months to make a decision. I needed a third MP40 and the only reason I got it was I found it on sale a reefapalooza. Otherwise, I would have eventually bought two gyres to add instead.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide if I should go with the vortex MP40’s on my 90 gallon reef tank, I already use the ecotech radions and have been happy with the lights, I’m just hesitant to spend so much on the power heads, my biggest draw to them is that the cords are outside the tank and they’ve had such good reviews.
My second choice would be AI Nero 5.
I’m curious how many think it’s worth spending the extra on the MP40’s ?
It’s a no brainer, If money is not an issue, get the MP40s. They’re twice the price and at least 5 times better. They’re about as good on the quality as radions. Also 50% more powerful than the AI Nero 5. Even at 66% they’re more powerful then the maxed out Nero. If money is an issue I still wouldn’t get the AI Nero 5, id get the gyres. IMO Gyres are superior in flow-quality to mp40s, but cost about as much as AI Nero 5. I have 5 MP40s and one original icecap gyre 3k that’s been running about 5 years.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I started with a Mp10qd on my max nano Sps dominant, went to Nero 5 then Nero 3 then reefwave 25 and back to a MP10qd. First, the small footprint with extreme ease of cleaning is awesome. The varied flow and extra templates with mobius are outstanding! The amount of flow is almost as wide and plentiful as the Reefwave.

My SPS truly love my mp10 over all other pumps. Nutrient export template is almost worth the cost of admission alone. I’m back to being a big fan of vortechs and highly recommend them with the battery backup.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I went back an looked at a thread from last year, and the consensus was don't hold your breathe on Ecotech on any black Friday deals. Notoriously stingy. I wouldn't spend money now to save money later. It would be a wash unless you have a use for the cheap power head. It all comes down to the cords. I'm the worse one to ask on something like this; it takes me months to make a decision. I needed a third MP40 and the only reason I got it was I found it on sale a reefapalooza. Otherwise, I would have eventually bought two gyres to add instead.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra money is worth it. Not having a cord to deal with coming out of the tank is nice. They’re very easy to clean. I have 4 mp’s now and will add more. By the way eco tech service department is awesome. Always willing to give you a deal to upgrade equipment.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was one of my reasons for wanting the MP40’s, not having cords hanging in my aquarium, as well as all the positive feedback about it being money well spent.
Thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back