Mp40….Are They Really Worth The Money?

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some new pumps and I’m having a horrible time deciding.

I know many love the MP40s, but man, $500 a pop?! Are they really worth that crazy price tag?

The other pumps I’m considering are:
Maxspect 4000 gph Jump Gyres
AI Nero 5’s
Res Sea Reef Wave 45 Gyres

What say you?

My tank is 60”x24”x25”, 150 gallons.
Here is a pic of my rock work.
image.jpg
Depends. You're getting less than $100 worth of component parts for $400. There really arent many other options is the problem, so it's more of a compared to what question. Tunze is way better than Ecotech if you want to push water over distance. Your tank being 5' I'd probably go with Tunze over Mp40. My tank is 7' and I have 4 MP60s.. If I place my hand in the middle of the tank I can't feel any flow from the MP60s less than 4 feet away on max power. I highly doubt mp40s can push 5'. If you aren't growing SPS it probably doesn't matter, but then again why buy expensive pumps at all then? With the tunze pumps I can feel water movement 7' away at the opposite end of the tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have money to shell outL Nero's, the same app interface as vortech, higher flow with a smaller footprint, less harsh flow, and about 1/2 the price.

If you just want the best bang for buck: Jebao, has had these pumps running for YEARS with no issues. Do the job, and can't complain about price

And if you want to keep up with the jone's I guess ecotech would be your best bet :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Well the Jone’s do tick me off from time to time….. :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. You're getting less than $100 worth of component parts for $400. There really arent many other options is the problem, so it's more of a compared to what question. Tunze is way better than Ecotech if you want to push water over distance. Your tank being 5' I'd probably go with Tunze over Mp40. My tank is 7' and I have 4 MP60s.. If I place my hand in the middle of the tank I can't feel any flow from the MP60s less than 4 feet away on max power. I highly doubt mp40s can push 5'. If you aren't growing SPS it probably doesn't matter, but then again why buy expensive pumps at all then? With the tunze pumps I can feel water movement 7' away at the opposite end of the tank
Thank you for your first-hand experience. I do have (and will add) SPS on the top of my rocks in my mixed reef, so flow is important.
IME tho, even without many corals, a tanks health is greatly affected by good flow.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used the Vortech almost exclusively over the life of my last two tanks. In that time lots of pretenders have come …. and gone. Many of mine go back to the earliest days of the quiet drive (2015?). I have never found them to be more maintenance intensive than any other power head. As long as you use the correct spacer and properly align the two sides properly (a trivial task) they will run and run and run. Buy a spare nozzle (the only part of the wet side that should ever sniff vinegar) and things stay nice and clean.

My personal experience with mobius was not good, so I might well feel differently if that was the only choice. I still use the WXM (even bought a spare just in case) so I’m good for many more years.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer Yes , long answer
If you don’t care about durability then any is good

However any is as good as you maintain it. Regular cleaning and a not so expensive option will be any day better than mp40 not maintained.

Per me I use them as primary pump and supplemental I use Jebao.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wanted to thank everyone for their input. It was great the get everyone’s viewpoint as I decided which pumps to buy.
So, I ended up buying two AI Nero 5 pumps.
The main reason was because of all the good reviews I read and watched on YouTube. One of which was a two year review but Reed Builders. The only bad thing I read about them is sucking in small fish. But they now come with a fish guard. And if I’m not happy with the supplied guards, I can alway make my own pretty easily.
I was also impressed with the ease of disassembly and cleaning due to its reverse-stator design. The maintenance requirements of gyres kind of turned me off.
Although Nero’s still have wires in the water, they are small and flexible.
They are small and very powerful. Plus I won’t have the earmuff on my side glass of the tank (one side panel is viewable and next to a walkway).
Nero’s also have a broad flow pattern which is what I want.
The app is another thing. I’m already used to the AI app because of my lights. In my research, the AI app offers way more features than I’ll ever need.
And lastly, the price. I just can’t justify paying $500 a pop for MP40s which may or may not be strong enough for my tank. And MP60s are not in the budget.
Anyway, thanks again for all your advice.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wanted to thank everyone for their input. It was great the get everyone’s viewpoint as I decided which pumps to buy.
The main reason was because of all the good reviews I read and watched on YouTube. One of which was a two year review but Reed Builders. The only bad thing I read about them is sucking in small fish. But they now come with a fish guard. And if I’m not happy with the supplied guards, I can alway make my own pretty easily.
I was also impressed with the ease of disassembly and cleaning due to its reverse-stator design. The maintenance requirements of gyres kind of turned me off.
They are small and very powerful. Plus I won’t have the earmuff on my side glass of the tank (one side panel is viewable and next to a walkway).
The app is another thing. I’m already used to the AI app because of my lights. In my research, the AI app offers way more features than I’ll ever need.
And lastly, the price. I just can’t justify paying $500 a pop for MP40s which may or may not be strong enough for my tank. And MP60s are not in the budget.
You'll love them. I like the fish guards. Great choice.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did good!

ChiefReefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you thinking of the Nero’s? I’m debating mp40s or Nero 7 right now

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do like being able to clean wetside while rest of equipment is outside. And its worth the money for me.

I have 2 MP40, 1 Nero 5 and 1 Nero 7.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes, if peice is not a consideration.

If price and convenience have equal weightage, I would go with Nero 7.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got both mp60 and Nero 7 —- the Nero 7 pushes a ton of water. And it works great with Mobius. And, honestly I find it easier to maintenance.

Also, they got the same flow pattern with the wide and strong push. On Mobius you get the same modes too.

Last edited:

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! No wires in tank and the power heads look less intrusive than most. Now I only have one currently but another on the way. My tank also has an mp10 and will be getting a gyre as well this week. This tank is new but I have been using mp10’s and pm40’s for about 7 years. Cleaning is also super easy with extra heads.

Cheaper options … yes …. Options with more directional flow… yes. A better balance between looks easy of cleaning and reliability? Not that I have found.

For me flow is the single most important thing to keep a tank thriving. For my wife how it looks matters just as much.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back