MP40 back up with 24V deep cycle system

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titlte says it all

Is it possible to use a 24v deep cycle battery series to back up an MP40 instead of the usual 12v motor cycle jumper wrapped battery they sell? Ecotech's support can not comment and only provide a sales link. I do know people have plugged in a 24 PSU brick into the new MP40s and they work except for WIFI updates.

Just curious as I have an industrial solution I would rather use. Tunze powerheads are a clear yes. @$V battery back up works well.

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Car and marine batteries are usually 12VDC. Of your looking for 24vdc you need to wire them in series they would retain the same aH they are rated for but voltage would remain the same. You could wire in parallel to retain 12 VDC and it would double your aH. However the point of the eco tech back up battery is to run on 12VDC they will run at a lower speed. I would not recommend running 24VDC or in series they wouldn’t last as long because they will stay at your programmed speed which could be 100 percent at hire amps no good. It defeats the purpose emergency backup use. Also batteries that are deep cycled at the 28 VDC range for example aircraft batteries. Which at times can range from 24VDC-31VDC. I don’t know if I’m answering your question or not. I’ve been an aircraft electrician for over twenty years.

Attachments

• 1CBA3A3D-BB82-4B98-8A5A-18FEBBB2EC15.png
    1CBA3A3D-BB82-4B98-8A5A-18FEBBB2EC15.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Koigula

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting response.

The first part is if 24 vdc would not damage the equipment. It seems it is ok to use this power source.

The risk analysis of running at low 12v flow for a dominated SPS tank is debatable. Low flow for extended period of time may lead to issues. If on average, a power outage is 4 hours twice a year, then running 24 vdc is likely better while giving a chance to run a generator, or a quick rewire if power company has bad news.

I have two large deep cycle with 100+ ah so temperature and other issues will arise before powerheads die. This is not the case for most using the wrapped motorcycle battery engine starter. Honestly cost difference is not great for the 7ah battery suggested. I actually use a PULS PSU run at 32v and can easily apply 12v but already have 24 vdc ready to go. When anything breaks in my system it is always hobby grade equipment that I upgrade to used industrial equipment.

Last edited:

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes iggy you are correct in your response. I believe I fully understand in your second response what you are trying to do. My assumption was based of the batteries being your only fail safe. You can wire these in a 24 VDC battery. You should be able to completely rewire connections. I have used frys in the past don’t know if they are still open. There is also a video from reef dudes just search diy battery backup for eco tech mp’s. Your voltage will vary especially when you start up you will have inrush voltage increase meaning pulling more amps just install a fuse in line, get a fuse rating 20 percent higher then nominal load. The component will only pull amperage for nominal operation. However you want to protect the wire if the component takes poop or shorts out.

OP
OP
Koigula

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Ill do that route.

I you have a gas powered home generator, oddly the best bet would be to have all loose rotor ac pumps for everything. The sicce and eheim pumps are aquarium pumps made by a pump company and are very reliable.

Thanks for confirmations!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back