Mp40 brand new HELP

cactusreef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2026
Messages
90
Reaction score
67
Location
california
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two mp40s. One is fine and working well. One has the wet side start vibrating and moving around and falling off and making noise. What can I do here? I took it apart and didn’t notice anything. My glass thickness is at the higher end of the spacer. Can I use the smaller one? I’m pretty annoyed considering how much I spent on these. 😡
 
I put the smaller size spacer on and I think it’s working…for now….

Also it’s pretty hot. Does the dry side get pretty hot?
 
I just got two mp40s. One is fine and working well. One has the wet side start vibrating and moving around and falling off and making noise. What can I do here? I took it apart and didn’t notice anything. My glass thickness is at the higher end of the spacer. Can I use the smaller one? I’m pretty annoyed considering how much I spent on these. 😡
remove the spacer and just use the rubber sticker.
 
I just got two mp40s. One is fine and working well. One has the wet side start vibrating and moving around and falling off and making noise. What can I do here? I took it apart and didn’t notice anything. My glass thickness is at the higher end of the spacer. Can I use the smaller one? I’m pretty annoyed considering how much I spent on these. 😡
remove the spacer and just use the rubber sticker.
Yeah I guess this is the move. Thanks!
 
At one point I also had a dry side that kept falling off and eventually realized that it was missing the rubber cover/gasket that makes it kind of sticky to the glass.

Also make sure the two sides are aligned well. I've found that the magnets have to really line up. If it's just a bit off, it can lose contact once it starts spinning.
 
I just got two mp40s. One is fine and working well. One has the wet side start vibrating and moving around and falling off and making noise. What can I do here? I took it apart and didn’t notice anything. My glass thickness is at the higher end of the spacer. Can I use the smaller one? I’m pretty annoyed considering how much I spent on these. 😡
Switch your spacer to the next thinner size to increase magnetic attraction, since your glass is at the upper limit of the current setting. Align the wet and dry sides carefully so the pump runs quietly.
Yeah I have the smaller spacers on now and it’s fine at higher speeds. Still have some shaking at low speeds though that I need to figure out.
 
Yeah I have the smaller spacers on now and it’s fine at higher speeds. Still have some shaking at low speeds though that I need to figure out.

The Vortech "shimmy" is a documented problem. I literally have just replaced a dryside and it
it's already exhibiting this shimmy issue. It can be bad enough where no polarity alignment between the dry side and wet side fixes the problem.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new