MP40 falling down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Deve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP40 on a 90 gallon and it has been working well for the past 6 months. Starting today, the wet and dry side are no longer sticking to each other and it keeps falling down. I have cleaned the glass on the inside and outside and soaked the wet side of the pump in vinegar but still having problems. Suggestions?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, there's a spacer that goes on the dry side to adjust the distance between the two sides based on the thickness of the glass.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so this is what worked for me.

unplug.
stick dry side
put in the wet side
then plug back on
it should stick

if you try to stick the wetside on WHILE the pump is already running - it doesnt stick.
some guy with a physics background can chime in - but i believe its due to the magnetic frequency not being able to dial in due to the polar ends not being able to set in as its in motion.

but thats just me. lol

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MP10 would fall off sometimes usually due to a grain of sand being stuck inside the wet side and the crap adhesive they give you to attach the wiring to the glass never held properly so my dry side would slam to the floor or wall.

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two MP40s and they started falling off just after a couple of years of ownership, and it just kept getting worse until they were unusable. I called Ecotech support and they said if I pay to ship them to them (using RMA form), they can tell me what needs to be replaced but I'd have to buy the parts (for example a new motor will cost over 200$, which is more than some entire pumps). Overall, I'm not very satisfied with their pumps or customer service. Being an engineer that develops products, I suspect they know they have a reliability issue which they can't fix which is typically reflected by their short warranty and limited repair support. Therefore, I expect this is not a fluke what happened to me and if you buy a new one or get yours repaired it will likely happen again, which is evident by the numerous posts online where folks have had this same problem over an over to no avail. It's a nice pump when it's working but based on my calculations you'll have an average annual cost of ownership (depreciation) of about $100 per year per pump, plus a lot of frustration once it starts falling off the glass. If you have the money, stick with them as they are very nice when they are working. But I can't afford to pay $200 / yr to run two of these pumps. I hope this helps those deciding whether to continue investing in these pumps or purchasing new ones.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back