MP40 mode and flow questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’m running a 220 6’ long mixed reef. Right now I have one mp40 on each end about 3” below the surface and one on the back way halfway down in the middle. My first question is what does back mode actually do. I see the turquoise light but the controller looks like It never changes speed as opposed to the pumps on the ends in master slave antisync mode the white lights show the speeds ramping up and down. Does that mean in back mode the pump is just always in constant mode while in reef crest or other non smart modes? I saw a diagram someplace that shows back mode working in the NUtrient transport and tidal swell smart modes. What does the back setting do in reef crest, lagoon, short pulse, and gyre? Next I tried using your flow calculator but it seems to recommend much less flow than there standard 50x turnover rate. Why is that?

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’m running a 220 6’ long mixed reef. Right now I have one mp40 on each end about 3” below the surface and one on the back way halfway down in the middle. My first question is what does back mode actually do. I see the turquoise light but the controller looks like It never changes speed as opposed to the pumps on the ends in master slave antisync mode the white lights show the speeds ramping up and down. Does that mean in back mode the pump is just always in constant mode while in reef crest or other non smart modes? I saw a diagram someplace that shows back mode working in the NUtrient transport and tidal swell smart modes. What does the back setting do in reef crest, lagoon, short pulse, and gyre? Next I tried using your flow calculator but it seems to recommend much less flow than there standard 50x turnover rate. Why is that?
@Tim at EcoTech ?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone from Ecotech monitor this forum?
Unfortunately not, they would prefer you to contact them directly. However, I may be able to shed some light on your question.

My first question is what does back mode actually do?
It may shed some light onto the question if we were to call it by its full name, "Ecosmart Back". And the reason why that's so important is that if you look at the link falcon30 provided, you can see that there are only 2 modes that have "Ecosmart" in the title. That means that in order for you to utilize "Ecosmart Back" for the vortech you have on the back glass, the parent pump needs to be in either Ecosmart TSM (Tidal Swell Mode) or EcoSmart NTM (Nutrient Transport Mode).

What does the back setting do in reef crest, lagoon, short pulse, and gyre?
Nothing.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not, they would prefer you to contact them directly. However, I may be able to shed some light on your question.

It may shed some light onto the question if we were to call it by its full name, "Ecosmart Back". And the reason why that's so important is that if you look at the link falcon30 provided, you can see that there are only 2 modes that have "Ecosmart" in the title. That means that in order for you to utilize "Ecosmart Back" for the vortech you have on the back glass, the parent pump needs to be in either Ecosmart TSM (Tidal Swell Mode) or EcoSmart NTM (Nutrient Transport Mode).

No
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I understand the diagram but my question is in the controller when set to ecosmart tidal swell the pump set to back the controller color is turquoise but the white lights don’t do anything. Only one light is ever illuminated where the two other pumps in sync anti sync the white lights move to show the pump temping up and down. Is this back pump only running in low in a direct mode? Does it ramp up and down? When you say it does nothing what do you mean? It’s running so it has to be doing something.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the diagram
Most of this will be obvious to you, however it would be wrong of me to assume what you do and don't know, so let's go for a ride, so that we're in the same page.

Let's take a look at the diagram for Ecosmart TSM (Tidal Swell Mode)

ecosmart.png

Look at the white portion of the graph labeled "same", the orange is labeled "opposite" and blue is labeled "back". It may not be obvious but humor me let's equate "same" with 'sync', "opposite" with 'anti-sync', and "back" with 'ecosmart back'.

Now, make a mental note how ecosmart back slowly crests and then rescinds for what looks like 75% of the daily schedule.

but the white lights don’t do anything.

Ok, now let's look at how "ecosmart back" is set up in mobius:

Screenshot_20220923-090447_Mobius.jpg

I randomly dragged child into the schedule and selected ecosmart back.

Now, here's the part most people get confused about with "child mode" That turquoise slider on the right doesn't mean that the pump will peak at 60%, it means it will run at 60% of the parent pump.

I don't know the percentages of your parent pump that is set to Ecosmart TSM (Tidal Swell Mode). But to make the math easy, let's say your parent pump has the slider set at 50%, and your child pump (set to ecosmart back) also has the slider set to 50%. That means the child is only operating at 25%. For the 1st 18 hours of the pumps programming it's only going to speed up and slow down 12.5%. And when you do the math (12/100 = x/12.5) 12.5% is 1.5 white led lights. You're guess is as good as mine if you're going to see that white led move once in the 1st 18h.

If the slider for the child was at 100% then it would work at 100% of the capacity of the parent, which is set to 50%. In other words the child will also cap out at 50%.

I know that this is confusing at the beginning but once you understand how it works, you quickly realize this is the best approach for parent/child relationship.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of this will be obvious to you, however it would be wrong of me to assume what you do and don't know, so let's go for a ride, so that we're in the same page.

ecosmart.png

Look at the white portion of the graph labeled "same", the orange is labeled "opposite" and blue is labeled "back". It may not be obvious but humor me let's equate "same" with 'sync', "opposite" with 'anti-sync', and "back" with 'ecosmart back'.

Now, make a mental note how ecosmart back slowly crests and then rescinds for what looks like 75% of the daily schedule.

Now, here's the part most people get confused about with "child mode" That turquoise slider on the right doesn't mean that the pump will peak at 60%, it means it will run at 60% of the parent pump.

I don't know the percentages of your parent pump that is set to Ecosmart TSM (Tidal Swell Mode). But to make the math easy, let's say your parent pump has the slider set at 50%, and your child pump (set to ecosmart back) also has the slider set to 50%. That means the child is only operating at 25%. For the 1st 18 hours of the pumps programming it's only going to speed up and slow down 12.5%. And when you do the math (12/100 = x/12.5) 12.5% is 1.5 white led lights. You're guess is as good as mine if you're going to see that white led move once in the 1st 18h.

If the slider for the child was at 100% then it would work at 100% of the capacity of the parent, which is set to 50%. In other words the child will also cap out at 50%.

I know that this is confusing at the beginning but once you understand how it works, you quickly realize this is the best approach for parent/child relationship.
This is a great explanation, thanks!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ecosmart.png

If the child is running at 12.5% is this not too slow to be doing anything but a constant speed? As I believe many if not all the modes will only run in the mode set when the speed is around 30% or more?

Back