Mp40 or Nero 5

CaptRob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I need advice on which powerhead. I have a 5ft 180 gallon mixed reef tank. My LFS has New Nero 5’s for $200 each and Used MP40’s for $250 each. Which ones should I get?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as @Cherub I have a MP40 that I really like. Buy it new and pay attention to aligning the wet and dry sides. There’s also a recommended two week (?) break in period that’s shown on the Ecotech website. I have a nemprotect guard on mine.

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Nero 5 like them because you can aim the direction of the flow and have guards on them so no chopping of snails or fish yet lol the flow is wider too.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 5 can be controlled via Bluetooth directly, no link or Apex required. I absolutely love my two, though the wire outside the tank on the EcoTech pumps is very nice.

I debated this same question over a year ago, and I landed on the Nero’s. Both are good choices and each have their pluses and minuses.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont get a used MP40! never get a used mp anything. Neros are great and if you have small fish a 10-20 dollar guard will fix that.

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go for a Nero 5, I use one on a RedSea 170 and it creates a lot of flow , the app is also very easy to use and play with, I love the feed mode. chopping fish? I haven't had that problem with mine, but I like sushi. my fish and anemone don't go near it

OP
OP
C

CaptRob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went all in.

B17A7742-6901-435D-999D-B8EF3A56F228.jpeg

4Bushpilot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting into reefing. No one prepared me for the decisions. It's like decorating a new house, so many choices. So much research.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting into reefing. No one prepared me for the decisions. It's like decorating a new house, so many choices. So much research.
Yeah but you’re doing the right thing by researching a ton before you dive in. People that don’t are often on here asking for how to correct something about that could have been avoided. Ups and downs in this hobby are inevitable, but doing the research will give you the best chance at long term success with minimal hiccups along the way.

PirateMonkeyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but you’re doing the right thing by researching a ton before you dive in. People that don’t are often on here asking for how to correct something about that could have been avoided. Ups and downs in this hobby are inevitable, but doing the research will give you the best chance at long term success with minimal hiccups along the way.
Buy once, cry once! As someone getting back in this is spot on. Also congrats on the Vortech pumps you won’t regret it!

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nero 5's now ship with a fish guard. That may fix the concerns there. Personally, I have 20 large tangs in my 1" cube and the one Nero 5 does an amazing job of helping to prepare dinner for us, so I keep the guard off. (Hail Nero!)

Seriously though I have the same dilemma. Decisions decisions. MP10 or Nero 5...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back