Mp40 placement 300 XL

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 300 XL. I'm switching from gyres to 2 Mp40. Where would you guys recommend putting the mp40?

20201126_191631.jpg
20201126_191618.jpg

OP
OP
qhduong

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help? Will placing them on the side towards the overflow be OK ? The rocks may block some flow.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Personally I would keep the gyros over the mp40 any day. Right now it doesn’t matter a whole ton for the mp40 because your tank is just starting (from the pic), but your going to have blockage no matter what since corals will be growing if that’s your intent. If not, the back or by the over flow is fine or the sides is fine, I have placed from mid bottom to top etc. I’m not sure what size tank you have but the gyros would cover more area.

OP
OP
qhduong

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Personally I would keep the gyros over the mp40 any day. Right now it doesn’t matter a whole ton for the mp40 because your tank is just starting (from the pic), but your going to have blockage no matter what since corals will be growing if that’s your intent. If not, the back or by the over flow is fine or the sides is fine, I have placed from mid bottom to top etc. I’m not sure what size tank you have but the gyros would cover more area.
Thanks! The gyres are ok, but maintenence is annoying. The wire in tank also bother me a bit. I'm replacing them with mp40s. I was planning on 1 lower at front on one side, and 1 higher at the back by overflow. Not sure if this is ideal or not. My left rock is kind of high. My tank is 65 gallon, 3ft.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The gyres are ok, but maintenence is annoying. The wire in tank also bother me a bit. I'm replacing them with mp40s. I was planning on 1 lower at front on one side, and 1 higher at the back by overflow. Not sure if this is ideal or not. My left rock is kind of high. My tank is 65 gallon, 3ft.
Two MP40s might be a lot of flow for that sized tank but I would put them on each side....one pointing slightly in front of the rock and one slightly behind so there is "some" water collision in the middle. I would do each about 2/3 up from the bottom. IMO of course :)

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello,

I have six wave makers in my tank and 2 gyros and the maintenance is exactly the same. I do not have anything Ecotech (which I won’t ever lol), but you still have to clean them and it’s no different. You still can not soak any of these in vinegar to clean them because it cause the plastic to swell and it ruins them. So it’s elbow grease regardless. For you tank one 3k gyro mounted on the back wall with over flows is way more than you need for a 65 gallon tank. In fact I’d save the money and buy better lights corals gosh anything but those. You may have already but you will not get above 10% power with those. I would need four in my tank which is 240 gallons roughly. The lfs has 125 tank it has just the over flows and it has only one mp40 and it’s an sps dominant tank. I strongly encourage you to really plan this out. Yes you need 20 times the flow rate, but not 200k flow rate. That rock your speaking of is a good thing and you don’t need to move it. It will actually cause more diverse flow and help with dead spots. That’s probably the best part of this solution you have going for you.

OP
OP
qhduong

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have six wave makers in my tank and 2 gyros and the maintenance is exactly the same. I do not have anything Ecotech (which I won’t ever lol), but you still have to clean them and it’s no different. You still can not soak any of these in vinegar to clean them because it cause the plastic to swell and it ruins them. So it’s elbow grease regardless. For you tank one 3k gyro mounted on the back wall with over flows is way more than you need for a 65 gallon tank. In fact I’d save the money and buy better lights corals gosh anything but those. You may have already but you will not get above 10% power with those. I would need four in my tank which is 240 gallons roughly. The lfs has 125 tank it has just the over flows and it has only one mp40 and it’s an sps dominant tank. I strongly encourage you to really plan this out. Yes you need 20 times the flow rate, but not 200k flow rate. That rock your speaking of is a good thing and you don’t need to move it. It will actually cause more diverse flow and help with dead spots. That’s probably the best part of this solution you have going for you.
Thanks! I have 2 2k gyres now, with running at 80%, they don't move that much water and I have dead spots... Added 1 mp40 to replace and it's a little better, still don't think it's enough to replace the 2 gyres though so adding another one. I like maintenance here since I can just replace the wetside ...

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have 2 2k gyres now, with running at 80%, they don't move that much water and I have dead spots... Added 1 mp40 to replace and it's a little better, still don't think it's enough to replace the 2 gyres though so adding another one. I like maintenance here since I can just replace the wetside ...

Hello,

I hope you know I’m trying to help so I I’m not coming off harsh. But if your 2k are not moving water there is something very wrong. My 3k if I place on the back wall of my 240 I can feel all th way to the front glass and it covers the whole center and my tank is 24 inches front to back. You know you can rotate the gyro ends to change flows, so you have four different placements between the 2? You will always have dead spots in a tank it’s ideal to limit as many as possible which is why I have a lot of wave makers but my tank is 72 long 24 front to back and 34 inches tall. If I place the gyro on the side of my tank, vertically and offset the ends I will have at 80% rate have flow into the middle of my tank and it’s hitting front to center tank is to wide and rock mass for the back wall), but an mp40 cranks our some insane water flow, and even an mp10 is over kill for your tank. If I had your set up and this is advice only, I’d place the gyros one each end vertical and off set each end. Place the mp40 on the opposite side of the over flow (should have one). This will make sure you have flow on the ends, mp40 covers center and then take the return line and point it down behind the rock work to move the dead flow from there. (IMPORTANT, make sure on your overflow returns if it’s a single one make sure you have a check valve or hole drilled in the pipe to break suction if the power fails so it doesn’t do a reverse section and drain into the sump tank and flood your house). If you have two (there is a y version also), place one behind the rocks and one just above the over flow water line so when the water drops it breaks the suction.

OP
OP
qhduong

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I hope you know I’m trying to help so I I’m not coming off harsh. But if your 2k are not moving water there is something very wrong. My 3k if I place on the back wall of my 240 I can feel all th way to the front glass and it covers the whole center and my tank is 24 inches front to back. You know you can rotate the gyro ends to change flows, so you have four different placements between the 2? You will always have dead spots in a tank it’s ideal to limit as many as possible which is why I have a lot of wave makers but my tank is 72 long 24 front to back and 34 inches tall. If I place the gyro on the side of my tank, vertically and offset the ends I will have at 80% rate have flow into the middle of my tank and it’s hitting front to center tank is to wide and rock mass for the back wall), but an mp40 cranks our some insane water flow, and even an mp10 is over kill for your tank. If I had your set up and this is advice only, I’d place the gyros one each end vertical and off set each end. Place the mp40 on the opposite side of the over flow (should have one). This will make sure you have flow on the ends, mp40 covers center and then take the return line and point it down behind the rock work to move the dead flow from there. (IMPORTANT, make sure on your overflow returns if it’s a single one make sure you have a check valve or hole drilled in the pipe to break suction if the power fails so it doesn’t do a reverse section and drain into the sump tank and flood your house). If you have two (there is a y version also), place one behind the rocks and one just above the over flow water line so when the water drops it breaks the suction.
Thanks again. I understand, I'm also learning about flow so definitely appreciate it! I have a center overflow, and y return. I'll try moving that overflow line as suggested. I was worried about flow hitting the rock directly since it might limit what coral I can put there. Should I even worry about this?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back