MP40 questions

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to switch out my RP-Ms due to some inconsistency in actually running issues. One clicks and the controller randomly becomes unresponsive. The other just won't work sometimes.

Took a look at the ecotech site and it's reading like my 4ft mixed reef (mostly softy/lps) will do fine with just 1 mp40 per their calculator. This feels super weird to me, anyone have thoughts on this? I've always felt like I needed one on either side of the tank, not sure if there's any science to that predetermined notion or not.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to switch out my RP-Ms due to some inconsistency in actually running issues. One clicks and the controller randomly becomes unresponsive. The other just won't work sometimes.

Took a look at the ecotech site and it's reading like my 4ft mixed reef (mostly softy/lps) will do fine with just 1 mp40 per their calculator. This feels super weird to me, anyone have thoughts on this? I've always felt like I needed one on either side of the tank, not sure if there's any science to that predetermined notion or not.
I personally would go with 2 MP40's, or 1 MP40 , and 1 MP10 to lower cost and still get the random flow from both sides of the tank. Maybe even 2 MP10's, although you might as well get a MP40, as the price isn't that much more.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To me, it’s confusing, sorta. Here’s why…

Technically, that mp40 can provide enough flow for that tank, BUT, it cannot give you the random flow patterns from different directions, like you mentioned.

So, it’s sorta misleading, but then again, it *can* produce enough gph flow.

For example, I have a 5’ tank, and I use 4-mp40s @98% reefcrest.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would go with 2 MP40's, or 1 MP40 , and 1 MP10 to lower cost and still get the random flow from both sides of the tank.
To me, it’s confusing, sorta. Here’s why…

Technically, that mp40 can provide enough flow for that tank, BUT, it cannot give you the random flow patterns from different directions, like you mentioned.

So, it’s sorta misleading, but the again, it *can* produce enough gph flow.

Can't do a 10, glass is too thick. I do run a sicce return which I can set to random flow as well, think the 40 on one side and the return on random would work?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't do a 10, glass is too thick. I do run a sicce return which I can set to random flow as well, think the 40 on one side and the return on random would work?
If glass thickness is any issue, than yes, a MP10 is out of the question. I would still go with 2 MP40's to have a random flow from both directions, but, one to start with could work. :) :cool:

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If glass thickness is any issue, than yes, a MP10 is out of the question. I would still go with 2 MP40's to have a random flow from both directions, but, one to start with could work. :) :cool:
Yeah, it's 12mm and looks like the 10 stops at 9.5mm?

Having 2 just makes more sense to me, maybe I'll start with one and run my clicky rp-m for awhile until I can get a 2nd (bonus in 2 weeks)

While I have you here, any idea the length of the cord?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's 12mm and looks like the 10 stops at 9.5mm?

Having 2 just makes more sense to me, maybe I'll start with one and run my clicky rp-m for awhile until I can get a 2nd (bonus in 2 weeks)

While I have you here, any idea the length of the cord?
I would have to look at mine, but, I believe its a 6ft chord to the controller, and another 6ft between the controller and the plug. On my 6ft tank, I had to mount one of the controllers to the left side and the other to the right side.

Make sure to get one spare wetside for each MP pump, AS, it makes cleaning SO MUCH EASIER!!! I swap mine out every 3 or so months and soak the dirty ones in citric acid, while the tank never misses a beat.

Substantial Oof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a pair of icecap gyre 2k or 4k on either side of the tank - the pair with the controller is about 400, which is one mp40. Unless you're doing a lot of sps you'll be great with those

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a pair of icecap gyre 2k or 4k on either side of the tank - the pair with the controller is about 400, which is one mp40. Unless you're doing a lot of sps you'll be great with those
i had some other brand of gyre on my old tank, and for some reason it was an algae/cyano breeding station. No issues anywhere else in the tank, it was bizarre.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had some other brand of gyre on my old tank, and for some reason it was an algae/cyano breeding station. No issues anywhere else in the tank, it was bizarre.
I currently have 2 MP40's and 2 Gyre 350's in my 225 gal tank. I plan on changing the Gyres to 2 MP60's. Its not because I do not like the Gyres, I actually love them, its the way the flow is that they produce vs what I want in the tank, is the reason I am replacing them. Its that and the ease of cleaning MP pumps as well.
20210905_134836.jpg
20210905_134843.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 MP40's and 2 Gyre 350's in my 225 gal tank. I plan on changing the Gyres to 2 MP60's. Its not because I do not like the Gyres, I actually love them, its the way the flow is that they produce vs what I want in the tank, is the reason I am replacing them. Its that and the ease of cleaning MP pumps as well.
The ease of cleaning is really what I'm attracted to with the MPs.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back